Using R lenses on Canon bodies

karl_knize

I bought one of those adaptors so I could use my wife's Rebel Ti as a backup in case my R8 did what so many people said it would, namely break down (which so far it hasn't). What surprises me is that even though the Rebels have mirror prisms and their finders are the dimmest of all the Canon line (I suppose Canon figures nobody who buys one will ever not use autofocus), the R lenses I have are (I hate to say it)as easy or even easier to focus on the Rebel as on the R8. And the pictures are the same. Stopping the lens down manually is a pain in the butt though. I have used my adaptor and lenses on a Digital Rebel and also an older Canon DSLR (6D or something like that), and on the Rebel I had to compensate the exposure meter 2/3 of a stop. So if you do use the adapted lenses, check the metering.

I am using EOS-R adaptor for both a EOS-1 and EOS-10D body with R lens from 19mm to 180mm. I am happy with it and get used to focus, step down the aperture ring and shoot.

One point need to be aware of is the metering, it works well in large apeture down to f8. The 10D seems to be overexposed at f11 and below.

If you are looking for a cheap backup Canon body, there is an R to FD adapter offered by kengchujadeworld.com. The adapter is about $100, more than a Canon FTb, TX or AV-1 body. I have used the 28 R on an AV-1 for aperture priority autoexposure, freeing up my SL for the 90 or 50. Infinity focus seems fine.