Wide zoom choices

manuel_franz

Well, here's my dilemma: I recently broke my old Sigma 28-70, 2.8 EX and am looking for

a replacement. I bought this lens many years ago and have been happy with it. As I am

currently looking at a replacement, I have found several lenses that might fill my need. I

live remotely and do not have access to camera stores (except if I take a plane!) so I cannot

test them or handle them or even see them. I would also not be opposed to buying the

same Sigma lens again. Here are the lenses I am thinking about:

Sigma Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto 24-70mm f/2.8 EX Aspherical DF

Tamron Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di

Tokina Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto 28-70mm f/2.8 ATX Pro-SV

Tokina Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF 28-80mm f/2.8 AT-X 280AF Pro

Money is not important nor is weight. My concern is simply for optical/picture quality and

sturdiness of construction (it's very hot and humid where I live and the lens needs to be

able to withstand it). Any input is welcome. Thanks.

Manuel, what camera body are you using? Usually, if money really is no concern, the Canon's L line, minolta's G line and Nikon's dunno-what line of lenses are better (built+optically too,maybe) than sigma and tamron and tokina... Not that the ones you mention would be bad! not at all.

One more thing, the 24mm focal length i like a lot. I'd prefer one with 24mm instead of 28. But that's your choice, again.

Hi, I shoot a Maxxum 9. When I say money isn't important, I refer to the difference in price

between those lenses. I find that the Minolta G lenses cost twice as much but tend to be

only slightly better quality, which doesn't justify their high cost to me.

Personally, I wouldn't mind the 24 mm either but my fear is that I will get a substantial

increase in optical artifacts by stepping from 28mm to 24mm.