OT- How many Apple users here?

<I>...but I have a three year old iBook which is always a talking point when I go to a

client's site.</I><P>

Talking point? Harvey, is that the original iBook - the one with the handle that looks like it

could be a makeup compact for Barbie?

www.citysnaps.net

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just switched this year. Picked up a G3 with a 450mhz G4 processor from a friend, complete with PS 6 and Final Cut Pro for $300. The only problem I've had is with Internet Explorer not allowing me to delete cookies ("Cannot find preference panels..."). Grrrr!

A g3 dual USB ibook that is getting a little long in the tooth (but has survived lots of abuse) and a g4 emac. Though I am typing this on my Windows box.

I love Apple for many many things. Just not so completely that I'll give up having a Win machine as well.

Apple user since the Apple II. My family presently owns 5 macs. My photo work station is a

dual 1GHZ G4 with 2 GHZ of RAM and 2 LaCie Electron Blue monitors. I also travel with a

12 inch G4 powerbook. I have a Dell laptop that was given to me at work, but I only use it

for the few work related programs that require it. I'll probably wait until 2005 to get a G5.

My oldest son has been using Apples since age 3 and has just graduated from UMich in

computer science and gone to work for Apple. He worked on some of the OS X Panther

development tools during internships at Apple the last 2 summers. Now he does

consulting work with business and governmental agencies to help solve their problems

using Apple stuff. He was in Houston last week putting together a large cluster of G5

servers to serve as a super computer for them. You gotta be careful what you expose your

kids to when they are young, you never know what's going to stick!! :-)

<<The only problem I've had is with Internet Explorer not allowing me to delete cookies ("Cannot find preference panels..."). >>

Kevin, you might want to try Safari, available as a free download from www.apple.com. Apart from being a superior web browser- privacy features included- I find it's also faster than IE.

David

have five macs laying around dating from the mid 90's and gave away a couple more from early 90's! - they were so easy to fix when they did hiccup and not one of them ever died on us, they just grew too old to upgrade.<p>

transitioned around mid system 9 and have had too many unexplained pc deaths ... but still use them now due to cheaper and range of mods and programmes.<p>

still miss mac simplicity, file extentions that make sense and those <a href="http://www.tcp.com/~dschaub/readme.html" target="_blank">great startup sounds of the past</a>

Macintosh all the way for fifteen years. Including a Classic, a Performa (remember that

one), a Powerbook 140 and a Power Mac G4 250 Mhz. I had a PC before. I heard horror

stories about Windows. I got a Power Mac G5 a year ago. I hated OS 10.2 (Jaguar) at first.

Now, I'm trying to like Panther. The switch from OS 9 to OS X is tough. I'm still trying to

figure out where everything is stored. Still beats Gates' beast by a thousand miles.

<i>

This is a little late in the thread, but I have not switched for one reason - Adobe. As far as I have been able to figure, Adobe will not switch over my licenses for their software to Mac versions. This represents a loss on switching of over $1000...</i>

<p>

If you call Adobe customer support, they will upgrade all your products to the latest Mac version using your existing PC licenses for the same cost as a same-platform upgrade. There is also a special package if you upgrade to the entire Creative Suite bundle, which will save you money over the individual product upgrades. Just ask for a "cross-platform upgrade". You'll have to fill out a form certifying that you've deleted the Windows versions and destroyed the media they came on.

Apple user since the "shiny keys" Apple ][.

Have a G4 600MHz laptop, and a dual dual 1.25MHz MDD G4

Sadly, the Dual is an excellent game machine along with being good for everything else, and that did distract me for my first year of ownership...

Fun stuff. I'd like a G5 laptop when they come out.

Well the above answers won't tell you much about the proportions of Mac users on this forum, but it is clearly a popular choice for people in the creative services.

Personally I'm a hardcore Windows person running XP Pro on a couple of laptops and even if I like the Macs I see no point in switching.

<i>Well the above answers won't tell you much about the proportions of Mac users on this forum, but it is clearly a popular choice for people in the creative services.</i>

<p>

Yes we see more Mac than PC in the creative biz but it's also interesting to note that recently I read an interview of a prolific cartoonist here in Hong Kong, that she said when she decided to add a computer to her workflow, she followed the norm in the biz and went for a Mac, because it <i>"represents an attitude to be different"</i>; but somehow it is exactly this <i>attitude</i> that eventually prompted her switched to a bland generic PC without a name when she decided to be a little bit more <i>different</i>. So I guess <i>being different</i> is a relative thing :) Her first featured animation in 2001 went on to win the Grand Prize at the Annecy International Animation Festival in France last year by surprising the world with a difference. Google for "Mcdull Story" and have a look, hee >:)

Moved to Apple when the new G5's came out. I have 1.8ghz G5 and I love it to death. Everytime I stood on the brink of buying a new PC i delibirated between Apple and PC and always choose PC for compatibility and cost.

We'll compatibility is a non issue these days and the cost... I remember buying my latest PC. Desparately wanted to keep that PC clean and fit, so first thing I installed was Norton Utilities and Un-install..... PC crashed on it.. first bleu-screen hit me after 45min out of the box. Can't remember how often I did a clean reinstall on that PC cause problems wouldn't go away. At least 10-15times over 3 year period.

Apple G5 has been running for over 6 months non-stop. Only goes to sleep (at least it used to before the latest OSX upgrade, and has been rebooted once cause everything was stuck. Love that machine, love apple and will never go back. Have since got an iPod, will get a g5 powerbook when they get out and will get an iMac for the kids, but might go second hand there.

<p>I have used Macs since the very beginning (in the '80's). I still have an antique Mac

Plus that has no hard drive and requires the whole operating system and everything else

(MacWrite + all your documents) to reside on a 720K floppy!</p>

<p>A big part of my work is graphic design and desktop publishing and Macs are hands

down the platform of choice. Every professional print shop that I've worked with uses Macs

and everyone I know who does graphic design uses a Mac.</p>

<p>I have never owned a PC until a few weeks ago when I put together one from scratch.

I'm running Gentoo Linux on it and I will use it to do web design and programming. No

Windows because I do not support Microsoft or its products.</p>

<p>

-Kevin

</p>