Florids Keys in December

klsphoto

Going to be in the Florida Keys for one day only in early December.

Any "don't miss" sights for landscape/nature photos? We'll probably

concentrate on the upper keys and most likely won't make it all the

way to Key West. I appreciate your help--info in the forum on this

subject appears to be a little dated. Thanks, Karen

One day isn't much and finding any shots devoid of some commercial artefact isn't going to be easy especially in the upper Keys. There is a national park somewhere in the upper Keys (forgot the name) but there isn't car access, it's basically good for underwater photography. Everglades national park is not all that far from Key Largo, but I doubt you could do it all in a day. There are the miniature deer (Key Deer)but they're about midway down the Keys. We're in south FL for the winter but we rarely ever go to the Keys. There are just so many better places for photography.

Hello Karen,

The park Ben is referring to is John Pennekamp State Park (www.pennekamppark.com). And he's right, its mostly for underwater activities.

The Florida Keys is basically a chain of islands linked together by bridges and theres only one road, USI. That way you can't get lost! And you can drive down as far as you like and see if any landscapes jump out at you. You'll be able to see most of it from your car as you drive down. I've had the most sucess at the apex of bridges as these will give you the highest vantage points. However, many great shots are ruined by the nemesis of many landscape photographers...powerlines! AAAAAAaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhh!!!!!!!!! :)

Too bad you can't make it down to Key West. The "laid-back, kick-back" capitol of the world!!!

The Everglades is not that far off of USI. The best location(in terms of ease of access and attending wildlife) in the Everglades is Anhinga Trail (www.nps.gov/ever/). The Anhinga Trail is right near the entrance and usually has a lot of gators, birds, fish and other wildlife. A target rich environment for wildlife. However, I don't know what the wildlife is like there in December. You may have to do more research for that one. :) If they are around, the gators bask in the sun in the early morning...so get there early!!!

Good luck and have a great trip!

David.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I hope you didn't leave yet.... I used to live in South Florida and know the Keys very well. I agree, go to John Pennekamp State Park. Both Ben and David are right on the money.. but just North of Marathon is Long Key State Park http://www.floridastateparks.org/longkey/default.asp I have fished there for years and it is absolutely beautiful.. so check it out if you get a chance.

<a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/2361763">Here is a photo </a>.</div>I took when going to school down there it was taken at Pennekamp and at a location called "Christ of the Abyss". You can, as I did, rent an underwater camera (was a Nikonos V at the time) from renowned underwater photographer Stephen Frink who is just down the road (Mile Marker 102.5 on the Overseas Highway) for a modest fee. His website is http://www.stephenfrink.com/ so check that out as well.

Have fun and "post em" when you get back, I would love to see the shots.

-Norman Perkel