i need a road trip

a long time ago

so.... i got me a new 300d and need a road trip...suggestions for a

maybe 3 day trip staring from where I-80 crosses the

mississippi...that's the spot we like to call the quad-cities usa.

(don't know why there are 6 cities that all claim to be one of

the "quad"). got some vacation time i got to use by oct 15 or give

it back. and we know that ain't gonna happen.

been to hacklbarney 3 times this week....no real preferance on direction...just looking for someplace to take a little drive, shoot a few pics without having to drag mamma through too many brambles. she deserves a break too and it ain't fair to ask her to wander through back country when what she really likes is a good book and a nice meal

There are two simply awesome areas very near you for autumn color, which can be done in short roadtrips. And one more a little farther away...

ROADTRIP 1:

Take the Great River Road up north of Clinton, Iowa, to the little town of Sabula. When the fall colors peak there, which is usually the week before 10/15 or so, the area right around Sabula, IA and Savannah, IL (directly across the river) is great. Sabula is on a little peninsula that feels as if you're on an island in the middle of the Mississippi river. It's surrounded by tree-covered hillsides on all sides. I've had great luck with migrating birds there in early October, (don't know if you have a long lens).

Cross the river to the Illinois side, and near Savannah is Mississippi Palisades State Park. Drive around or hike one of it's many trails - the park's tree-covered bluffs are awesome for fall color landscapes.

Then, depending on how much time you have, the road that goes from Mississippi Palisades north to Galena, IL, is quite colorful. On the weekends, farmers sell pumpkins from carts along the roadside on this road, and old, quaint roadside shops line the road in places. These all make great autumn subjects. Galena itself offers a lot to photograph in autumn, as well.

ROADTRIP 2:

The other way down the river, near Muscatine, is Wildcat Den State Park. There is an historic grist mill set in the trees that's a great subject. The park is forested, and features several hiking trails leading to bluffs for very nice autumn color landscapes. In the upper part of the park is an oak savannah with many giant burr oaks. In the lower part are hiking trails and at least one stream. I lived in the Quad Cities for a few years and this was one of my favorite places to go in mid October at peak leaf season.

ROADTRIP 3:

Farther north, way up in the northeast corner of Iowa, the area right around Effigy Mounds National Monument (near Marquette, IA) is also wonderful for fall color. This could be combined into a trip to the Winona MN area, as Kent and others have already recommended.

Enjoy!