Tetons/Yellowstone next week...foliage reports?

j._scott_schrader

I will be in Yellowstone and the Tetons next week...would like to

hear any foliage/wildlife reports from anyone who has visited

within the last week to 10 days. Also...has any snow dusted the

mountains in the higher elevations yet? I am considering

spending a couple of nights at lake solitude. Anyone have any

experience at that location?....getting there?... how strenuous?

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Hey there,

I spent the last 5 years or so living in the park as a seasonal ranger (just moved away this spring). I don't know current conditions, but call the Moose Visitor Center, (307) 739-3399 & ask! Based upon past years--right now is the time to be there for fall colors. Lake Solitude is 7.2 mile hike one way, if the Jenny Lake Boat is still running. If the boat is not running, add another 2 miles or so each way (ask about it when you call the Visitor Center). I'm thinking by the end of Sept. the boat company is closed for the season. Elevation of Solitude is about 10,000 feet, & it could snow at any time, now that fall is winding down--check conditions & be prepared. It is a strenuous hike, especially with full backpack & lots of camera gear (elevation gain of almost 2300 ft). How long will you be in the park? I can recommend other options if you give me more details--feel free to email me off line. Have fun!

Dave

I don't know about the current condition in Yellowstone/Tetons NP. However, I do know about the hike to Lake Solitude. You can expect the hike to a very strenuous one taking into account the fact that you'll have your camera gear, camping gear, food for two nights and two days (maybe more). I hope you have company to help you carry some of that stuff. Also, the weather can be very fickle up there. All this doesn't mean that the trip will be more of a hassle than a fun adventure. Be prepared. If you do that, you'll not only enjoy but hopefully come back with some great photos. Also, be sure to let the rangers know that you are headed up there. According to the rules, you'll have to get a permit but I know some people who have headed up there without any kind of permit and without letting the rangers know. Have fun and be safe.

I just called up there...They said the aspens are peaking right now and the cottonwoods are done. So, if you're heading out next week, you may not find quite what you want...

<p/>

There are several nice (read: cliche) locations driving around the park. You can see these at <a href="http://wyofoto.com/Teton_Photo_Map.htm">this link</a> if you're interested.

<p/>

-D

<p/>

<a href="http://www.coyoteimages.com">Coyote Images</a>

Just returned from a four day weekend trip to Grand Teton. The color in most of the park is past peak with the exception of the Oxbow Bend area. It was peaking this weekend. The warm weather this weekend was doing a number on the recent snow in the Tetons. Saw more wildlife in Grand Teton this year than ever before.