Which 4x5 based on below details

jason_huggins

I have long been searching for a good 4x5 camera to purchase. I do

not want to purchase something that I will be restricted on movements

and wish I had another, I would rather spend the money on the front

end. I am mainly interested in landscape photography and possible

portraits. I am assuming a field camera will fit these situations.

I have already been to the largeformat website. Can someone give me

a top 5 of their choices and some personal feedback of using one of

these.

Thanks.

There really is no such thing as a top five. Moreover, there are several more things it

would be useful to know before making any recommendations:

1) What is your budget? You can get nice field cameras in the $600 range and you can

spend over $4000. Budget really does matter?

2) Do you have any feel for the lenses you will want to work with? From extremem wide

angle through long lenses or a comfortable range in the middle? What do you anticipate in

terms of initial lens purchases to go with your camera?

3) Is weight important? If you plan on doing a lot of hiking and backpacking it might be.

You can get field cameras fro a bit over 2 lbs to 8lbs.

4) You mentioned possibly portraits as well as landscape work. Portraits usually require a

longer bellows draw as you are working at close distances. Is this important?

Give us answers to these questions and we can be much moe helpful. Having said all that

you should take a look at the basic offerings from Wisner, Walker, Canham and Shen Hao

... all will basically meet yoru needs at different price ranges. I have left out both the low

and high end offerings (with the exception of Shen Hao). You should also call either Jim

and Midwest Photo or Jeff at Badger Graphics as both have large stocks and are extremely

knowledgable and well able to help and stand behind what they sell.

Hi, Jason,

Before someone replies is a not so courteous fashion, may I suggest you spend a couple of hours searching this 4x5 forum on this topic...with search terms like "beginner" and such?

This subject comes up weekly, and there are a lot of opinions and ideas from devotees of specific cameras...for field and studio.

I imagine you have an idea of what you're prepared to spend, so that will narrow it down. (My choice has been a Shen Hao 4x5 field camera, and a Calumet 45 NX Studio...with a set of lenses.)

Robt.

Different photographers will have different needs and wants so there is no one list of the five best 4x5 cameras.

Besides the questions the others have asked, how strongly does portability matter to you? There are hoards of used monorails on the market, but still a market for more expensive used and new field cameras because people want a smaller and lighter camera. If you plan on hiking, you might want the lightest possible camera, e.g., a Canham DLC. If precision and the ability to handle a very wide range of focal lengths is important, perhaps a Linhof Technikardan. If you like the classic look of wood and brass, perhaps a Zone VI, Wisner, Shen Hao or Ebony (well, titanium on this one).

Also, don't be too concerned about the range of movements available. Virtually all of these cameras offer sufficient movements -- the photographs that manufacturers show of their cameras dramatically contorted are misleading -- these are not realistic setups. I think you will find for landscape photography you will rarely use tilts of more than a few degrees. Even for studio work more than 10 degrees is unusual. The only movement that I ever run out of is front rise, and one can always gain additional front rise by tilting the entire camera up, then tilting both the front and rear standards to be plumb (perpendicular to the ground).

You might want to browse some of the previous threads in the forum -- try the categories (at the bottom) of Cameras and Beginner's questions.

Jason, try this. You have all the makers and model names so then rank them in price. Draw one or two red lines depending on your price freedom and <i>then</i> compare the movements/lens fittings in that range. Personally I'd be looking at two before the rest - the top-of-range Ebony and the Wista DX - they are very different but that's a personal selection based on preferences for mechanics and style.

If you are on a tight budget but still want a field camera take a look on ebay for the old Korona wooden cameras (look for both 4x5's or 5x7 with a reducing back). These can often be had with extra goodies like lenses and film holders for around $200. The one I have came with a special mount to accept speed graphic lens boards which are highly plentiful.

Many of the movements are geared as this was a high-end camera during it's day. The remaining movements are pretty substantial albeit ungeared.

If you have narrowed it down to a field camera, and cost isn't an issue, then I think you need to decide on wood or metal.

I have a Linhof Technica V and find very little fault with it. It is a metal body. They have a triple extension bellows which means that they are paper thin and used examples often need bellows.

If you are concerned with movements I think I would look at the Technikardan which kind of a cross between a field camera and a rail camera. However, most of the time the Technica will have more than enough movements especially after you learn the different ways to get extra movements out of camera by droping the bed and tilting the body.

I have a Deardorff in 8x10 but I don't think I would recomend a used wooden camera although I love mine.

I don't have but lust for an Ebony so I suppose that is what I would get if I were buying a new wood camera and money was not object.

Keep in mind that with large format, the cost of the camera may end up being less than 50% of your investment, and a view finder for a Linhof can cost more new than a top of the line digital SLR.

I just took a peek at B&H's web site and there are really a lot of choices and almost all of them boil down to personal preferences.

I am not sure that there is a right or wrong answer.

As someone who bought and got rid of a Toyo 45 A II ... I will never own another field

camera. If you truly enjoy LF photography and know how to use movements ... get a

monorail. Arca Swiss seem to be the best and the lightest these days.

Field cameras are clunky, fiddly and a study in compromise. Monorail cameras are built to

do everything one CAN do with a large format camera. Why people mess with field

cameras other than saving two or three pounds is beyond me. You give up something in

nearly each and every aspect of LF photography when settling for a field camera. You gain

back two pounds of weight and ALL the functions by going with a monorail.

You'll never put a digital back on a field camera either whereas you might be able to with

an Arca Swiss. I'd go with the Metric function carriers and add Orbix.

Of course, many field photographers will never use several of the movements that a monorail offers. I know there are some nice lightweight monorails, but you pay a premium for light weight. I saved about 7 lbs. going from my monorail to a field camera. I have front and rear tilts and swings, plus front rise and fall. I can combine the swings to get a fair amount of shift, and if I'm desperate for more rise/fall, I can do the same thing by tilting the bed and combining front and reat tilts. The back is the convertible type (horizontal OR vertical, not rotating in between) but I don't go in for weird shots with the back turned 45? so that's no loss. About the only thing I (occasionally) miss, is a Graflok back, but I have a Calumet roll film holder and Grafmatics work fine in my spring back so I guess that's OK too. I suppose I have to think harder sometimes about just what movements I need to use, but for 7 lbs (and about half of my backpack) that I've saved, I'm good.

I think there are a lot of excellent responses. I'm just getting into 4x5 and can only offer the experience looking to it, so far. But it seems you may be working from the wrong position. In the research I've done, you have to establish what you want to do and the lenses to do that. That should begin to define what features you want in the camera, which you can then research them for the best one within your budget. Remember to consider the cost of the whole system.

Before you do that I would suggest reading the various recommended books, article and Web sites to get familar with large format camera system, techniques, and overall background information. You also need to decide where this will take you, because, as noted to me, you don't want to buy something you'll have to replace later or decide not to continue. If you don't plan to hike very far, you may find some monorail cameras may also work for you.

I suggest this because it helps to know how you learn and how you plan to work with the camera. Some cameras may be great but a handful to learn and use, which won't help you. This was helpful for me when looking at them at stores (suggestion below), and making a final decision for my first one later this spring.

Some good books are Steve Simmon's "Using the View Camera", Leslie Stroebels's "View Camera Technique", Steve Stone's "A User's Guide to the View Camera", and Jack Dykinga's "Large Format Nature Photography."

Lastly, find some shops that carry the various large format camera system and talk to them. Experienced large format photographer who double as sales folks are usually helpful and will set one up for you to understand and see the cameras.

Good luck.

--Scott--

There are a number of things that need to be considered. Having owned several, both mono and flatbed (field cameras), If your going to be always carrying out into the field... with a monorail, you'll need to protect the groundglass and the lens. With a field, it just closes up. I love my Linhof Tec III and have found NO restrictions when shooting in the field... I have even taken it on my mountain bike and with the use of a Bogen Articulated Arm, used the bike as a tripod. In the studio though, I prefer using a monorail as you do need more movements than some of the more decent fields will offer.

In your case, I would look for a field camera, like the Linhof's, that will offer you more back movements as this is used for straightening out the "bowing" that you'll get with the use of wide lens (straightening buildings, trees ect). For portraiture, you won't really need to many movements unless you want "funky" effects by raking the front lens plane out giving a shallow DOF.

Since you have to do so much manual manipulation of a view camera, it is a good idea to get your hands on the various models you are considering. Some folks are feel that the Canham cameras a bit fidgety to use; others think they're great. Some folks think the Shen Hao is well-made (for the money); others think they're fidgety too. Some folks think the Arca is backpackable; others don't agree. You really need to get your hands on them and apply your own standards to the process. For me, even one iota of shift by something as I tighten it down makes that camera a non-starter. I use an Arca-Swiss F-Metric, and there are those who pack them into the wilderness because their demand for that level of precision makes them willing to carry the extra weight. That wouldn't be my choice, but you've to to make your own decision on that. I got this camera for just the reason you stated - I didn't want to get a camera and realize that I needed to trade up. An Arca is a lifetime purchase.

Another thing to consider is the lenses you'll want to use. In some cases, the

rear lens element size may not allow you to use a particular lens or have much in the way

of movements. Of course, that lovely top end Ebony is probably fine if you have a large

budget (wish I did, but don't, sadly). :-)

IMHO, if you're healthy and can afford to haul an additonal few pounds, I'd go for an

inexpensive monorail, get good lenses, really learn what movements can/cannot do for

your style of shooting, then trade up later. Good luck!

Ok,

I probably will not be able to go and test different cameras or try them out.......Not alot of stores that offer this type format. For most of my purposes, it will not be long hikes or carrying it long distances......very short as of right now. My main goal is landscape, but would like a camera to do portraits also. My budget will hold maybe up to 1200.00 for a camera and probably standard starter lens......equivalent to 50mm in 35mm.

There is no where for me to go to look at different types except on the internet....so I am restricted. Anymore feedback will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If you get a decent used 150mm-210mm Schneider f/5.6 Symmar S for around $400, that leaves you with $800 for a camera, but don't forget all the other stuff you'll need - film holders, dark cloth, and a sturdy tripod and light meter if you don't already have those. All that will set you back a bit too. Now you're down in a price range a bit lower than what lots of folks have recommended. You're probably looking at the Shen Hao, which most folks think is very good bang for the buck. Or a used Cambo, but that's not much of a backpacking camera.

Field camera (80% of the time) : Canham 4x5DLC.

field/studio camera; Arca-Swiss 45 FC or if you like axis tilts, Linhof Technika TK45s

Studio only or at least 90% of the time Sinar P2.

Given what you say you want to do I'd choose the Canham DLC; lightweght, no need for

wide angle or extra long bellows or extention rails, bright viewing screen. if you want

something more traditional yet modern looking get the 4x5 Canham Traditional.