Overpriced German Equipment

roger_hicks1

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of equipment, the Kid's Pool photo is one of the most delightful I've seen herein in some time (except for Reina's usual charmers). No special "glow" or creamy bokeh or blah-blah-blah technical this or that. Just one finely captured image of a child's innocent glee.

The reason these keyboard discussions get out of hand is the impersonal nature of the net. It happens on every forum regardless

of the forums primary topic. I think it can be worse in photography

because there is a lot of ego invloved.

I don't know Scott, but his posts always seem to lead to the conclusion that 'it's my way or the highway'. I just do not read them anymore. Works for me.

*One of my biggest joys is listening to Leica photographers, like above, convince themselves that photography is only about small format, grainy, B/W photography and darkroom work is only about making B/W prints, then convincing themselves that other people care.

I then realize that photography consists of more than 35mm small roll B/W work shot with absurdly over rated German lenses, and why the better photographers don't associate with that club.*

Scott's original reply/post.

I believe that most of the powerful images that we are familiar with were taken with small format cameras. Just leave the country of origin of the camera to the imagination.

There have been many posts here by users of larger format systems inquiring about M's for their personal work. 35mm/Leica/M is not the be all end all but is sure is easy to take a small camera with you and is preferable to having no camera.

Hi Roger,

There is just no logic to Scott's post. I have never seen a statement here that would have promulgated Scott's conclusion.

Les the Mess

Some of us are just plain sentimental to our roots, 50% in my case. There's something proud that I feel when I handle my old German cameras knowing that its not a product built to a price. My Oma *insisted* that I learn this and I've never forgetten it.

<p><b>Das Lied der Deutschen</b> - as sung post-WWII

<p><i>Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit<br>

für das deutsche Vaterland!<br>

Danach lasst uns alle streben<br>

Brüderlich mit Herz und Hand!<br>

Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit<br>

Sind des Glückes Unterpfand;<br>

Blüh' im Glanze dieses Glückes,<br>

Blühe, deutsches Vaterland.</i>

<Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit

für das deutsche Vaterland!

Danach lasst uns alle streben

Brüderlich mit Herz und Hand!

Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit

Sind des Glückes Unterpfand;

Blüh' im Glanze dieses Glückes,

Blühe, deutsches Vaterland.>

This surely ain't English English...

" market is a market, whether it is in commodities, people, carpets, camels, derivatives, or cameras."

But there are TWO Leica markets. One is made up of photographers who would like the equipment to be as cheap as possible without compromising quality. The other is made up of collectors who prefer higher prices; the more difficult it is to own something, the more pleasure they derive from owning it.

Leica is a corporation, and knows that it can spend $5 extra on a different kind of leather or some engraving, make only 1000 units and charge $500 extra for a "limited edition". Quite rightly, from a corporate point of view, it it more interested in selling objets d'art to collectors than tools to workmen. THAT is what is meant by Leica is overpriced; they could not charge anywhere near the prices they do if they just sold into the first market.

Similarly, if Nike sold only to runners they couldn't charge what they charge, but trendy kids want to be seen in the latest trainers, Nike uses artificial scarcity to drive up the price, I wouldn't be surprised if the number of Nike customers who actually wore the gear in the gym or on the track is only a small minority.

Who really cares what Scott Eaton says or thinks. Certainly, with your expertise, Roger, you can determine cost/value of German gear without his input. One reason German gear tends to cost more is economies of scale, smaller numbers of units leads to higher production cost per unit. Period. If you like the quality and want to use the gear, you have to contribute to Zeiss's or Leica's overhead. Its just that simple. So the reality is the price doesn't just reflect quality but also total production cost. Now, I have got to go and shoot some grainy BW.

I have always thought of Scott as a fun character. He comes along every so often to berate the wicked Leica owners and stick he tongue out. Everyone then gives chase and have a fun time.

Claude, Eric, neither of you would suit a cauliflower ear........so watch it ;)

Are German lens better? To those who think they are, yes. Are they overpriced? To those who think they are, yes.

Does it really matter, no. Pay your money take your choice.

Gear is the least thing in life to get worked up about. There, there's a thought.

"Agreement and right and liberty for the German native country! Afterwards let us all strive fraternal with heart and hand! Agreement and right and liberty are the luck pledge; Flower in the gloss of this luck, flower, German native country."

It would seem machine translation isn't quite there yet. That "Afterwards ..." is a little ominous tho'.

Unity and right and freedom<br>

For the German Fatherland;<br>

Let us all strive to this goal<br>

Brotherly, with heart and hand.<br>

Unity and rights and freedom<br>

Are the pledge of fortune grand.<br>

Prosper in this fortune's glory,<br>

Prosper German fatherland.

OK, this is heavily off-topic. As an exercise, here is a human translation (mine) of the German national anthem. The biggest difficulty IMHO is in the word "Unterpfand" which is not in use by a single person who speaks German.

Unity, justice and freedom

for the German fatherland.

Let us all strive for that

as brothers with our hearts and hands.

Unity, justice and freedom

do bestow happiness.

Do blossom in the shine of this happiness.

Do blossom German fatherland.