New Adobe Digital Negative Converter

What do you think of the new

<a href="http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/software/dng.shtml"> Adobe

Digital Negative Converter. </a>

It is basically a program to convert raw files into a standard format, so third party writers

can easily make programs that support raw, and so raw files will be more archival.

I wonder if there is any loss of quality. I guess it's too early to tell. Sounds like a great

idea though.

It would be great if there was a standard format for Raw files. Whether we get there or not, the availability of an application that will convert any Raw file to some standrd supported by the photo editing software of our choice is great news.

By the way, if there is a DNG converter to dowload from Adobe, it is well hidden ... It may have been there earlier but it isn't there now (09/27 @ 10:27 Eastern) ...

A standard file format is a good thing, but untill native support for my files dissapears, I would see no reason to convert.

I assume that a converter will be available for at least as long as the source format is in use. So just ignoring it and not worrying about it until it is a mature, widely supported format and I actualy need it seems like a good strategy.

Will read up on it though, as hopefully it contains a universal embedded conversion parameter specification, which would be very usable! (white balance, crop, levels, curves, sharpening, metadata, etc.)

I can already picture a DNG reader in the next versions of Windows and

Mac OS X (Apple has already their own PDF viewer) Then you'll be able to view your raw files just like jpegs and tiffs, without need to invoke a

specialized program.

Just what we needed, and Adobe has to be commended for its open format policy.

I hope that the next generation of cameras will offer it as an option <a href = "http://www.terragalleria.com/">Terra Galleria photography</a>.

Bas Scheffers Photo.net Patron, sep 27, 2004; 12:56 p.m. wrote:

<p><i>A standard file format is a good thing, but untill native support for my files dissapears, I would see no reason to convert.</i>

<p>I agree, but if DNG is really accepted and cameras will start to use it, you might want to convert all your old RAW files to DNG. If DNG becomes a standard, then everybody will have forgotten about the proprietary RAW formats a few years from now, and it will become harder to find software that can still read your old RAW files. But for now, I think it's best to wait and see what will happen with DNG.

It was a bit harshly stated maybe, yes. One thing it probably improves om my Olypus RAW files is compressions. Files from my E-1 are 10MB, while zipped they are just 6-7...

To be fair, if it turns out to be a good format and my favourite software (C1DSLR) supports it, I will probably start using it, but only if high quality converts are made by other people than just Adobe. I know its free, but far from Open Source and I'd be mad to put all my eggs in one basket!