I'm just too broke. Need a scanner under $200.

Cheapest reputable you're going to find new for 35mm is a Minolta Scan Dual IV for about $250-$300. You might be able to find a Scan Dual III or II used for a good price if you look hard enough. If you're willing to go down to the quality level of flatbeds an Epson 3170 or 4180 might be able to provide marginally adequate quality for about $200 give or take some rebates depending on your needs.

Presuming that a neg scanner fits into your format requirements and you don't

own a Mac, then I suggest you watch developments on the thread I have

started about the Plustek.

It's a 7200 DPI neg / slide scanner (PC format only apparently - although may

be upgraded?) which is can be found mail order for around 200 USD or 150

GB pounds.

Evan,

Please ignore that rude answer. I began photography as a child and did it on practically no money. Buy what you can, enjoy it until you can afford better. I got some great experience with an old plastic 120 camera and hand-me-down enlarger and tank. I remember scraping together the price of film and chemicals. I had a great time. The wonderful thing about photography is that it is a hobby that you can spend as much or as little as you have and still get enjpyment from it.

Ian

Ian,

My entire experience as a photographer has also been on a meager budget. Anyone can get by with the bare essentials, and anyone can go crazy with a credit card. Too bad this rude person has to cut others down because of his lack of confidence.

But back to subject, I think a flatbed might be good for me, since I'd like to be able to scan medium format as well. It's not nessesary, but it looks like I might be able to go that route for about the same amount of money.

My next question is: How much quality am I sacrificing by using a flatbed scanner as opposed to a normal 35mm film scanner?

i just saw your last post...what are you looking from your scanned images? because youre

not going to get great stuff from a flatbed or a cheap scanner - enough for web images

and the such but not for making larger prints....

i really dont think its because of a lack of confidence, as an aside

Evan.

I think the last poster's question re. what you are looking for in a scanned image is very critical. if you goal is high quality prints, you might actually be better served by a 5mp digicam than a scan from a sub $200 scanner (I know there are exceptions to this, but it is worth at least looking into). if, however, you are only planning to use the scans for web,4x6 prints, etc then just about any new scanner will do.

Evan,

I'm in the same boat. I got some good advice to get a dedicated film scanner for 35mm, and I do believe that's the way to go.. if you can. However, being a cheapskate pragmatist myself (out of necessity at the moment), I went ahead and got a refurbed Epson Perfection 2400 directly from Epson.com, with free shipping for $75.00. I just got it today, scanned a strip of 4 negatives, and I'd say it just might be the best $75.00 I've ever spent. Color and dynamics are very good, and the scans, while a bit soft initially, appear to retain more than adequate detail to respond nicely to PS USM sharpening. If you really want a low priced solution, I think this is the way to go.

I just want to add, that the Epson 2400 scan quality should be able to produce "decent" inkjet prints up to at least 9X6 at dpi between 200 and 300. And a lot depends on the printer. If you are concerned about really big prints, how big ? And it depends on how many and how often. For myself, as an amateur more interested in one off "arty" work, mostly for my own amusement, I would then get a professional scan. For the demands of professionals, the game changes. Your objectives need to be clear.

If you do want to try MF too, then a flatbed is the way to go. For 35mm they will do for web scans and small prints. For MF, they're fine up to A4 (that's as large as I've printed so far). A refurbished Epson 3170 should do nicely, and leave you enough spare change to get a MF camera (a folder or TLR).

If you are only going to do 35mm, then a second hand film scanner, or even one of the Plusteks will do. Yes, I know the Plustek is not the last word in quality, but it should do the job at least as well as a flatbed for 35mm.

The other option is to get the shots scanned when you get them developped.

Good luck,

Paul

If you are _broke_, then photography _is_ too expensive of a hobby, because you won't be stopping at the $200- scanner.

OTOH, I think "too broke" is being somewhat exaggerated here, but don't worry... you'll soon be "too broke" for real :).

You already have a Nikon D1 & a Fuji S1 Pro. What do you need a scanner for? If you're shooting medium format, then nothing in this price range will be close. Paying $200- for something you're not going to be satisfied with, is not a very good option.

If it's for 35mm, then the Minolta Dual Scan series is only about $260-, so just wait till you _can_ afford it.

I used to use a Minolta Scan Dual II that I bought new years ago for $300 and sold nine months ago for $125. Now I use a Minolta Multi Pro ($1,900) because I need it for MF. And, I have a lot of prints from others scanned with all kinds of film scanners (emphasis FILM scanners, not flatbeds), from dirt cheap to the highest $.

Is there a difference in print quality from 35mm scans when printed up to 10"x15"? NO! I can tell a difference from film choices, photo skills, photoshop skills, printing skills but not from the scanner choice.

Buy a used Scan Dual II or III or an old Nikon or Canon then learn how to use it. Your scanning skills will be a lot more important than the hardware if the final determinant is print quality.

Here's a different idea: find a community darkroom or sign up for a class at a community college ($33 where I live) and learn how to process and print your own negatives. That's one sure way to grow as a photographer. Or go to business school and become a rich asshole.

Well, I live in Chicago, and there is no cheap way to do anything. My alma mater (Columbia College) won't let me use their awesome digital lab even after I've graduated and paid tens of thousands of dollars for an education that I can't implement.

All bitterness aside, all I need right now is a scanner that'll let me print a little bigger than 8x10 for a print portfolio. The rest would be used for web graphics and CD portfolio. I suppose I could go for a dedicated 35mm scanner, since I have way more 35 than medium format negs. Anything beyond than is basically not nessesary right now. i have friends that have top-o-the-line equipment, but I simply have so much work to do, I NEED to be able to work on it whenever I have ANY time to do so. So, I need my own stuff, and right now all I need is the essentials.

Oh yeah, and to a previous poster: I know you looked at my previous posts, but those Nikon and Fuji digital cams aren't mine; I posted those threads for my job(I'm a digital studio photographer aching to get the hell out of the day-to-day drab of product shots and move on to better things like being being a broke freelance photojournalist).

8x10's from 35mm, you'll need a dedicated 35mm scanner, especially for a portfolio. I bought my Dual Scan II refurbed for $100US. It's only 2800dpi, but more than enough for 8x10's.

Since you have friends that have good equipment, have you tried asking if anyone has an older model scanner forsale after upgrading?

There are a couple of options that I have not seen mentioned here. Nikon has a CoolScan series out that is cheaper than the ED4000/5000 series. The big differences are that the CoolScan series will not take the slide stacker or the long roll adapter. The CoolScan V is a 4000dpi 14 bit scanner while the ED5000 is a 4000dpi 16 bit scanner. The CoolScan V goes for about $550 dollars instead of the $1200 that the ED5000.

On the ED8000 vs the ED9000 if you don't have KodaChrome you can get the ED8000 and not give up much of anything.

Depending on where you are located (due to shipping)I have a LS2000 that I will give up very cheap if you are interested. It has the film and slide feeders and is 2700 dpi.

Jams Shetler