What does EOS stand for?

toby

Electro optical system and it is pronounce eeeos, rather than E O S

Also in Greek mythology, EOS was the goddess of the dawn. From her island home of Aiaia, in the river Okeanos, she rose up into the sky each morning in a golden chariot drawn by winged horses scattering the dark mists of the night with her rosy brilliance

Simon

In black and white, everyone's a hero

• 8 years later...

<p>EOS stands for - Eye On Start<br>

Early model of Canon cameras with electronic focusing and metering system feature a sensor in the viewfinder chamber, the system will start focusing and object metering when the camera is brought near to photograher's eye thus the name <em><strong>E</strong></em>ye<em><strong>O</strong></em>n<strong><em>S</em></strong>tart.</p>

<p>I knew it is a very old post, my only purpose of posting this is very simple, to clarify. Right, I do not gain from posting nor get rewarded for posting. And I am serious.<br>

The actual meaning of EOS was lost for more than ~15 years may be, many guessed it stands for Electronic Operating System, Electronic Optical System etcs when they think it fit the letters and functions.<br>

My old cannon magazine that stated that EyeOnStart was in a pile of old magazine, I will try my luck if I can find it and scan it for you.<br>

For the time being, you may want to read some mentioning of Eye control function of Canon EOS <a href="http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/film-bodies/eos-3.htm">here</a>. "<em>Then I realized that it has Eye Controlled Focus, a name which doesn't do this system justice. It should be called "mind-controlled autofocus," since you don't have to do anything to control the AF system other than just shoot. The AF system is constantly looking at your eye, and already knows where you're looking when you press the shutter, so without you even having to think, the EOS 3 already knows where it needs to focus, and it just does.</em>"</p>

<p>To clarify? How is misinformation a clarification? Are you claiming that Canon introduced Eye Control Focus with the very first EOS camera? </p>

<p>Everyone else knows what it stands for already, Mark, because they can go to the official Canon website and read it. </p>

<p>http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/history/canon_story/1987_1991/1987_1991.html</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The development project was called "EOS (Electro Optical System)." The "EOS" is also the name of the goddess of dawn in Greek mythology, even more apropos for the new-generation SLR camera.</p>

</blockquote>