Provia 400 speed 120 film

<p>Hi all</p>

<p>I am in the process of buying a Pentax 67 camera so that I can handhold a medium

format for use in the field, mostly I will be shooting Ilford HP5+ and Delta 3200 for B&W

as you need to keep the Pentax over 1/125th sec to get a steady shot - But for colour I

currently use

either Velvia (50) or Astia (100) in my RZ which I love (especially Astia in the studio!) but

obviously at max 100 ISO getting 1/125th isn't always assured, the only option I can see is

Provia 400 which I have no experience with.</p>

<p>Has anyone got an opinion of the emultion. Or can anyone suggest any other slide

(Roll Film only)

film (I don't use C-41), I only know Fuji so no idea if Kodak or Agfa are any good - maybe

they have a 200 speed that can be pushed to 400 with great results?</p>

<p>Any suggestions?</p>

<p>Paul</p>

Provia 400 is an excellent film. Good color rendition and excellent detail in shadow areas.

Also very sharp and low grain for a 400 speed film. Quite usable for about everything.

BTW, I think Provia is an excellent choice film for studio work, if you aren't shooting

people. For good skin it would have to be Astia.

You'll need to try it for yourself . For me, this isn't a film I enjoy using and I think that in dull conditions in particular you'll find it rather flat and uneciting if you like Velvia. Certainly I couldn't support aview that faster colour slide films are as good as their equivalents in colour neg or b&w.

I presume a rangefinder won't do? That way you could use your first choice films hand-held.

<p>Rangefinders are things that I don't really get along with so no it's the Pentax I want!

</p>

<p>I have been looking around the net and Agfa do a slide film rsx II 200 which I am

interested in as I use Scala B&W slide film a lot and it's fantastic so why wouldn't they

produce great colour slide - I'm going to order some to see. But does anyone know if this

can be pushed to 400 or even 800.</p>

<p>Thanks again!</p>

Try Kodak E200 rated at 640, and processed push 2. E200 is also ok rated at 320 and

pushed 1, but since you like Velvia and are handholding a 6x7, you might want the

extra stop of speed. Grain is not significantly worse (although I suppose that's a

subjective term) at those push ratings, but especially at EI640/+2 there is a nice

boost in saturation and contrast. Try a roll or two, maybe one at EI320 and one at

EI640, and see if you like the results.

<p>Ivan,</p>

<p>Sorry a little confused by your answer, maybe I'm not as techy as I thought I was! Are

suggesting pushing velvia by 2 stops? Or are you saying that E200 if I meter for 640 then

get it processed by + 2 stops (800 speed) that I will get saturation and contrast boost? It

all sounds really good but just want to be sure that you are suggesting that for Kodak

E200 and not Velvia?</p>

<p>Thanks for your response!</p>

Paul,

Sorry, yes, I was suggesting those ratings and push processing for E200 only. I should

have been more clear that my reference to you liking Velvia related to the boost in

saturation and contrast you'll see with E200 pushed. Of course, E200 isn't going to

look anything like Velvia, even pushed, but I was just listing the saturation/contrast

boost of pushed E200 as an added benefit in that respect.

I am suggesting rating E200 at EI640 for a two-stop push, and/or at EI320 for a one-

stop push. These are Kodak's push processing recommendations for E200. They also

recommend rating at EI800 for a three-stop push, but I'd only do that if you really

need that small amount of added speed. I use and have used E200 at all four ratings

(normal, and push 1, 2, and 3), and EI640 with a two-stop push is definitely my

favourite. Like I said, try a roll or two of E200, maybe one each at EI320 and EI640,

and see how you like the results.

<I>Try Kodak E200 rated at 640, and processed push 2.</i><P>I've got a better idea; Use a 400 speed film in the first place vs another obsolete and unremarkable Kodak emulsion put in a fancy box and with grain the size of meatballs when pushed. More proof for me that Kodak die hards are either racist, or just plain stupid.<P>400F is a great film and has better grain than E200, but 400F is also more contrasty than Astia and closer to Velvia in terms of contrast.

Scott Eaton wrote:

<i>I've got a better idea; Use a 400 speed film in the first place vs another obsolete

and unremarkable Kodak emulsion put in a fancy box and with grain the size of

meatballs when pushed. More proof for me that Kodak die hards are either racist, or

just plain stupid.

<br><br>

400F is a great film and has better grain than E200, but 400F is also more contrasty

than Astia and closer to Velvia in terms of contrast.</i>

<br><br>

I'm fairly certain that the above comment would have been both more useful and

more helpful without the useless hyperbole of the first paragraph. The second

paragraph is just fine, so why not write only that in the first place?

<br><br>

Paul asked for suggestions about Kodak/Agfa films that can be pushed to ~400; I

gave some. I didn't say a word about any Fuji product (other than re: Paul's like of

Velvia), let alone criticize them, so the only way Herr Eaton would manage to reach

the conclusion that I am a "racist/stupid Kodak diehard" is to make it up. Since

presumably you are an adult, it may be in everybody's best interest for you to act like

one, instead of resorting to hyperbole and name-calling like a five-year-old on a

playground.

<br><br>

In fact both Fuji and Kodak (and Ilford!) make excellent products. It's up to each

individual to decide which ones work for them in a given situation. Most people I

know are capable of doing this, and greatly prefer reasoned advice to mindless

flames.

<br><br>

I still recommend trying a couple rolls of E200 pushed. Two rolls of 120 should not

cost more than 10 units of currency in any given country, hardly breaking the bank.

In fact, I bet that rolls of Provia and E200 can be bought at the same location. I'll even

recommend (to Paul) picking up a few rolls of each, testing them out, and deciding

which ones work best for you. Who knows, perhaps it is even possible that both are

good films, with different characteristics. Wouldn't that be a shocker?

If possible try to at least use a monopod? Or mlu then fire the shutter quick. I have tried handholding Provia 400 with my 6x6, a bronica sqa. I think it's ok... just. Do remember to add in a warming filter (81A/B) when shooting in shadowed areas or in the evening. If not it turns out rather cold/bluish.

Alvin

Paul,

Risking incuring the strange wrath of Scott here. I like RSX II 200. I can't say if you would. It is a low contrast film( though not as low as Astia) and pushes well. It certainly does not resemble Velvia at all. It is a lower saturation film. For all Agfa slide films think close to the Kodacrhome palette, but MUCH lower contrast, and without the scanning printing problems of Kodachrome (alas also without the longevity). The best I could suggest is pick up two rolls and try one at 200, one at 400 witha one stop push. Either the look will appeal or not, but you will know instantly if you like it or not.

Myself I don't like the look of Provia 400 at all. I will acknowledge it appears finer grained, but there is just something about it that doesn't appeal to me. If you like it's look, its a very good emulsion as far as Grain/Scannability/Printabilty goes.