tele work. I always carry the two bodies, the M with a 35mm. lens

and the R8 with a 90 and a 180mm. Besides I use a lot the R8

with the 60 macro. ( superb lens ! ). The R8 is better balanced

for hevier tele lenses than the R6.2, i used to have a RE wich is

about the same size and wheight as the R6.2 and it was too light

for tele work. great for 60mm. down. But the R8 adds weight

behind the lens giving a much more stable feeling while

shooting hand held. The mirror slap is more damped and you

have AE wich may be useful for speed photography.

I prefer the smaller R cams. My 6.2 has served me well. The mirror problem was resolved starting with R6. R4, Re R5 shale like crazy.

Up to 180 2.8, the smaller body is ok. There is an advantage of the heavy body with 250 and longer. I use my 400 and 560 with small bodies on a shoulder tripod/brace made for it and it is fine.

I've not used the R6.2 but it's reputation is outstanding. Also, the 6.2 certainly has the panache of all mechanical workings going for it but that is why the 6.2 price will be much higher.

I do recommend the R8 after a certain serial number (research photo.net archives for the number). The R8 features I like include the ergonomics, high eyepoint viewfinder and bright, contrasty focusing screen.

I have a later model Portuguese R8 which has the improved electric's and recontoured film flattening shim on the back. Earlier R8 German models may have been corrected, but maybe not, you would have to ask the seller. All R9's are OK.

I use both. The R6.2 is my favorite with shorter lenses up to 90mm - balance and more compact size. But feature-for-feature, and especially with bulkier lenses, for me the R6.2 just can't compete with the R8. If you choose R8, the more recent the better to avoid early little design flaws.

Under "equipment" at the top of this page, click on Leica, and the first thing you see is a long thread begun by Martin Davidson from April 9, 1997, on this subject, among other Leica issues.

The relative merits & demerits of the R8 and the R6.2 are discussed at length, with the R8 getting some serious knocks for reliability. It's a fascinating thread because the word "digital" never appears.

I have an early (2,29x,xxx)R8 which has no electrical problems and does not scratch the film even though it does not have the new part with the polished strip and the camera obviously has had a lot of film through it before I got it. If it ever needs an overhaul, Leica will upgrade the electronics (though I believe it has been done according to the store I bought it from who sold it new)and I'll still be $1000 cheaper than a new R9. If it starts scratching film someone told me of a much better way to deal with it than Leica's new part. I have not used an R6.2 but I would not personally spend what they're going for today. I would probably get an R7 or an R6 which are selling for hundreds less. The R6.2 will not be fitted with a digital back, if that is of any consequence to you.

I have the R6.2. and it is a very fine manual camera. It's advantage is that it is mechanical and therefore (probably) more reliable, and very small for an SLR. It is about the same size as an M, and less dense. The R8/9 are more ergonomically designed and have all the very nice automation that can make a dedicated session (say portrait, wedding etc.) more pleasant. But they are a lot larger, and to be honest, electronics and Leica are often not such a happy combination - but maybe the R8+ are better. Certainly one does not hear that the R7 is unreliable.

I do not really think that the R8/9 viewfinder is superior to the R6.2 but is has a higher eyepoint and is less magnified: this may make it brighter, but not necessarily any easier to focus.

When I want to use the R6.2 for longer lenses or for a lengthy session I find it nicer to use it with a Motor drive. What is nice is being able to take around one's SLR kit on longer trips and not have a huge camera around one's neck. If I felt that it would improve my photography then I would have an R9, but I cannot hand on heart say I need it.

Whether the digital back will be a real plus we have yet to see. I think given the Leica R module's price I would just as soon wait for a totally dedicated digital Leica R body in a few more years if I want to go digital.

Robin Smith

• 1 month later...

Hello Joe. I'm late on this one but have something to add. I use both R8 and R6.2 bodies with tele lenses. The R8 is vastly superior from a technical standpoint and will produce better images, mainly resulting from the mirror lock up possibilities that it brings. Its metering is also more flexible. I think you will get better telephoto pictures with an R8, if you are inclined towards technically challenging use. Note that I haven't mentioned reliabiity yet! The R8 will not be as reliable as an R6.2. Again, from direct experience I can say that the R8 is far more likely to scratch film (thought this can be avoided with scrupulously clean technique), more likely to have electronic glitches (though later models are better), more likely to suffer from winder/drive integration problems, ie, jamming. But with all of this taken into account, I use my R8s as first choice for most things. The R6.2 comes out for fun, though it has seen hard commercial use too (portrait work, and it excelled).

If I was taking one body on a once in a lifetime holiday experience where reliability was key, using short teles, normals and wides, I'd take the R6.2. If I was doing regular nature photography near home and with access to Leica support I'd be loading up the R8s. Why do I mention R8s in plural? Having only one is asking for trouble! Complex things like cameras have problems, perhaps R8s have more than others but I'm not sure of that. Have a spare and life is far less stressful.