I received my new 70-200 2.8L IS USM lens today. The focus ring is

smooth as silk. The zoom ring seems like it is too tight. It takes

effort to move unlike any of my other lenses. Also the IS "hums"

while I have the shutter depressed. I called Canon and they said

this is normal and it will free up with use. They also said the hum

is normal. My 70-200 4L was not tight like this. Is it the weather

sealing? This lens is very expensive for me and I am a little

worried. Should I be? Thanks.

Thanks everyone. It has occured to me that it may be the weight of the elements. I can orient the lens upward and the zoom is harder one way and herder the other when I orient the lens downward. I suppose the 2.8 vs 4 weight difference is what I am moving with that ring. P.S. Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum and photo.net!

I also am a bit worried about my Sigma 70-200 2.8 EX HSM, both the focus ring and the zoom ring are beautifully dampened and turn smoothly and freely with just the right amount of resistance. Seeing that the far superior Canon 70-200 2.8 L IS has a tight zoom ring only suitable for Arnold Schwartznegger types, as has been confirmed by several owners and users in this post, do you think there may be something wrong with my Sigma?

Your lens is just fine, don't worry. the zoom ring is a little heavy compared to a non "IS", non f2.8 lens. But that is normal, like anything else you will become use to it. I have been using mine for years now and I can honestly say that it is the best lens I have had the privilage to use. You will shortly find out the same. Enjoy.