(W/NW) Death

hugo drax

The following two photos were taken by my mother on her recent trip to Santa Fe, New Mexico with the Minilux that I got her on the recommendation of many of you here. Please send her mass quantities of unsolicited email telling her to take more pictures and to start participating in the Forum. Ray, here's your chance for revenge; she has a treasure trove of bad photos of me that I'm sure she'd be more than happy to post.

Her name is Suzie Lerer and her email is: slerer (at) susanlerer (dot) com<div>009WL9-19676984.jpg.8eec32559a3436194f91bcaf844ef36e.jpg</div>

Hello Cebes,

I?m glad you like the photograph. I shot this a few years ago using TRI-X rated at 200 developed in D76 1:1 for 9.5 minutes (my standard combination for TRI-X). If I remember correctly I used a 50mm lens that I stopped down a bit to retain sharpness foreground to background. I can?t remember the exact exposure settings. When I print this negative I crop a distracting tree from the right side. For the print I scanned, I used Ilford multigrade paper and during the base exposure I dodged the tree trunk and roots to bring out detail in them. The base print exposure is at a grade 3 setting. Then I adjust the contrast setting to 2 to burn in the right and left areas around the tree. There is a good bit of burning to the right side because the fog really obscures the small tree to the right in the background, which I really wanted to show to offset the curve of the main tree in the foreground.

I was drawn to this scene because it looks as though the tree has embraced the vault. I also find it fascinating that when the vault was placed, the tree was probably just a sapling (if it existed at all).

I hope this information has answered any technical questions you may have!