Crewdson / Balzano + esque = lense lengths * just getting started

casey_basichis

Hi,

I know this is a pretty basic question, but what legnth range zoom lens would you all

suggest to achieve angles similar to Gregory Crewdsons photos and the photos here

http://www.leebalzano.com/portrait_index.html? I am very fond of the cinematic

effect that they achieve and am looking for a new lens for my digital rebel. I am just

getting started in photography and would appreciate any help. Also the lenses i was

looking at were Tamrons, it seems that they have a student dicount the brings most

of lenses down to around $300-$400 any one have an suggestions for a particualr

lens?

Thanks,

Casey

<p>I gave up the attempt to look at the website whose URL you give: it's nightmarishly slow. The web designer even uses images for text, e.g. <a href="http://www.leebalzano.com/levittown/text_body.gif">this blurb about Levittown</a> -- what an idiot. The minuscule thumbnails do suggest that the lenses are pretty wide, though. What lens do you already have? If it's fairly wide, stop worrying and use it. If it isn't, get something appreciably wider. In general, spend your time using what you already have rather than worrying about and saving up for more clutter to carry around with you.</p>

The images have an angle of view that would correspond to something like 15mm on a 35mm format lens. That's extremely wide. You will have a hard time to get that angle with the digital rebel's 1.5x cropping factor - you'd need a lens of 10mm focal length. A 15-17mm lens costs already alot, with rare exceptions (like I could suggest tokina 17mm f/3.5 AT-X); however, there are not too many rectiliniar (non-fisheye) 10 mm lenses for canon af..... You could do with a wide angle converter type lens that you mount in the filter ring of a wide angle lens... that should be cheaper, but the quality won't be too good - however, on the website the images can't be judged if they are good quality or not, (i'm talking about physical quality, i.e. sharpness, distortion etc) since they are sooo small...

So, dunno if it helps what i wrote... good luck anyway.

So what do a 150mm or a 165mm lens on an 8X10 translate to in 35mm? I know the

tool doesn't make the photographer, but i spent a fair amount of money on the

camera and i want to make sure that it has a decent lens or two. My two main

interests are the cinematic styled staged photography and portraits. I suppose these

are two completely different things. So the question is what should i get? From what

i understand you need a fast aperature lens for portraits. What do you all think of the

Tamron SP AF28-105mm F/2.8 LD Aspherical (IF)? Would the SP AF24-135mm F/3.5

-5.6 AD Aspherical (IF) of the SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro

suffice instead? Is tamron any good at the SP level (The reason why i ask is they seem

to have a really nice student discount)? As for the wide angle stuff I might wait for the

Canon EF-S 10-22 is this a wise choise? Thanks again,

Casey

Sorry, one other question. In regards to the painting with light, i looked around on

google. Do you mean the photoshop variety or where you actually shine a flashlight

on the desired areas on a long exposure. Looking at a few photoshop tutorials it

seems like a pretty powerful technique and i can see right away where this would be

quite usefull.