Is there a Bogen/Manfrotto equivalent of the Gitzo Explorer?

pgwerner

I'm in the market for a good macro tripod, something very flexible (yet sturdy) that I can

get down to ground level and weighs in at around 5 lbs or less. I've been looking at the

Gitzo Explorer, Uni-Loc 1600/1700, and Benbo Trekker series (though I hear mixed

reports about Benbo, with some people claiming its unstable), probably not in carbon fiber

as I don't have unlimited funds.

One manufacturer that I haven't really looked at is Manfrotto (sold as Bogen in the US).

Even their modestly priced models are reputed to be good builds. Does Manfrotto make

any "bent-bolt" tripods like I've mentioned above?

Peter

Hi Peter,

<br>I assume that what you are looking for is a tripod with some sort of leteral arm capability. The Bogen 3021 (or 3221 in black) series of tripods is very popular. They have a newer model (the 3221 BPRO in the US) that allows you to take out the center column and use laterally. Bogen and some other manufacturers probably have some sort of accessory that you can attach to use a lateral arm. I have a 3021, which I was fairly happy with. Although now that I have a gitzo, I much prefer it. Bogens are good, but I dont think they hold up as well over time. Check out the bogen site for more details.<p>Todd Schoenbaum<br><a href="http://www.celluloidandsilver.com"> Celluloid and Silver</a>

If you are looking for a lateral arm, the Gitzo Explorers (G2227/G2228) as well as the Manfrotto models mentioned above have them.

I have the G2227. On a practical level -- speaking for myself: The lateral arm is nice to have but so far I never had the need to use it. While the flexible legs are good for uneven terrain, this design can also be a source of pain because you constantly need to make sure that the legs are spread out evenly in order for it to support the camera sturdily. This incovenience is especially evident when your camera-lens combo is quite heavy and when you are in a hurry. Most of the time we do shoot on normal non-precipitous grounds, don't we?

Some additional thought: A regular Gitzo with a short column will do very well for macros. I don't have experience with the Bogen models mentioned above. Hwvr, they sound like good options. In my experience, the flexible legs are not practical in most situations.

I think both tripods are more than capable, but for dedicated macro work I got the Gitzo. It is allows me to exploit a greater range of possibilities and is very fast to position. I won't say that I can't use the 3021 for macro (I often do); the Explorer just gives me a broader range of opportunities. I got along fine before I bought it (the Gitzo), but I sure am happy that I have one because I do a lot of macrophotography.

> Most of the time we do shoot on normal non-precipitous grounds, don't we?

For 'normal' ground, I have a tripod - an old Husky IV I'm quite happy with. However, I'm

quite serious about macro work and need a good field macro tripod, not another 'regular'

tripod.

I'm interested in the responses I got about the Gitzo Explorer. They've stated that the

Gitzo is much more versatile. Just what can I do or do faster with a Gitzo Explorer that I

couldn't do with a Bogen 3021PRO?

Brand new the Gitzo G2220 is $50 more than the Bogen 3021PRO, plus the Bogen turns

up a lot on the used market while the Gitzo rarely does, making for even a greater price

difference. Basically, I'm wondering what the Gitzo gives me for the extra money.

Also, I keep hearing that the Benbo and Uni-Loc tripod design is "unusual". How do these

differ from other tripods in which you can move around the center column? Would a Uni-

Loc 1600/1700 perhaps be even more versatile for field macro work than the Gitzo

Explorer?

Thanks in advance for any answers you can provide,

Peter

Peter

I have never used a Bogen/Manfrotto tripod but I do own a Gitzo G2220 with a Kirk BH-3 ball head. As I am sure you know by now each one of the legs on the G2220 is independently adjustable from 0 to 90 degrees. Thats okay but its not what I love about the legset. The thing I find most handy is that the center post can pivot somewhere around 135 degrees. 135 degrees is a guess but I think it close to that. When the center post is extended a small amount it also pivots a full 360 on a horizontal axis. Until you have used it a few times you just don't realize just how useful that really is. I would be utterly lost without being able to do that now.

I have the Uni-Loc 1600 and it is very unusual. When you undo that centre bolt you'd better be holding your camera firmly as the whole things goes loose in one go! This actually isn't as bad as it sounds - you quickly get used to holding the camera to do anything. It actually has the advantage that when you come to move around, you can release all the legs in one go lift the whole thing up, the legs will fall together and you can walk off quickly to the next spot.

You can't beat that design for flexibility. The legs are capable of going to any angle independently - they can even point upwards. They are very quick to place. Also they handle being placed in mud/water as the upper leg tubes go inside the lower ones so you don't get mud inside.

The Uni-Loc version can be reconfigured with a allen key into various combinations such as a monopod.

Disadvantages: heavy (made of steel), tendency to vibrate easily (steel is springy).

Dave.

• 6 months later...