curiosity I downloaded the trial version and played around with it a

little.<p> Now Im a little confused. Why would you need or want a

separate program to print from? I have not seen any advantage to

using Qimage.

Am I missing something?<p>

Thanks<p>

Michael

Michael,

I should have added more on my previous post. I usually don't sharpen in my photo editing program before sending it to Qimage. I usually let Qimage do the sharpening before printing. The Qimage website is very informative about resampling and printing. It is well worth reading the information on thier site. You may have devised a method of sharpening in Photoshop that works for you, but I find it very easy letting Qimage do the work. It does a great job.

Qimage is also especially good with interpolation and upsizing a file for enlargement. I've been printing several files to an Epson 9600 printer at 44" x 36". These are 2900 dpi scans from 35mm, 4 megapixel digicam files, and 3200 dpi medium format scans from a flatbed. None are considered particularly well suited for such enlargments.

While part of the apparent sharpness of the resulting prints is due to viewing distance, even if you get up close it's pretty darn sharp. I haven't been able to get such good results from Photoshop's bicubic interpolation.

I suppose I _could_ get similar results for certain files with Photoshop, but it's nice to know that Qimage handles a lot of that for me.

allan

Michael,

It shouldn't affect your noise reduction efforts at all, and you can turn sharpening off if you've already done it for output.

Another thing I like about the sharpening in Qimage is that it's based on the output size. Now, it's not as good as, say, PK Sharpener, of course, but for proof prints or prints for family it's great. I use PK sharpener for the prints I care about and intend to frame.

allan