I recently found a Canon AE-1 camera at a thrift store..and works

fine because I already tried it. Problem is..I accidentally messed

up the Focus Screen...*sigh* Long story...but anyways..I was

wondering if there is any way I can get it replaced. I noticed that

you can replace the screens on the Canon ae-1 "program"...which is

confusing me because I'm not sure whether I can use that screen for

the Canon AE-1. Confusing, yet I need to know. If not..I have to

take a super trip to the Camera store. I'm still upset about what

happened to my camera, but, hopefully there is something I can do.

Class is on Tuesday..And I need to get it fixed. Thanks.

Hello Carmen,

I'm going to risk an answer here because you need something quick and no one else answered yet, but hopefully someone more competent than me will be able to give you a better answer.

The good news is that your AE-1 screen can be replaced, but the bad news is, AFAIK, only a technician or someone very knowledgeable with the right tools can change an AE-1 screen. The AE-1 Program finder can be removed (more) easily, the AE-1 not. It involves lots of manipulation and unsoldering of tiny wires and the likes, and it's something I would think is better left to your camera repair tech.

I'm only going by what I learned on the Canon FD Yahoo group, so don't take this as gospel. If you need it for next Tuesday... you'd better get an appointment with your repair tech today! :)

Hope this helps,

WOW, The A-1 has a replacable screen it is rexomended that a tech does it but I have done it many times and taught a couple of guys over the net how to do it.

The AE-1P has a user interchangable screen that pops in and ouut through the lens mount using the suplied tool. There are maybe a dozen different screens available

The AE-1 DOES NOT HAVE A REPLACEABLE SCREEN. The screen can only be removed from this camera after the top the flex circuit the prism are removed. This is major disassemby and CAN NOT BE DONE WITHOUT a repair manual and should not be done unless qualified.

If you take the top off an AE-1 without knowing what you are doing and without presetting the meter ASA dial and shutter speed to the setting given in a repair manual you will screw the camera up PERIOD.