OT: Canon D20 crashing issues?

karl_knize

I've heard of two 'glitches.'

1. When upgrading the firmware, the camera locked-up. Probably rectified with the most

current version download.

2. The separate/optional battery grip sometimes, because of a design flaw, loses contact

with the body and it powers-down. I think Canon may be redesigning the grip.

For discussion about either/both, you can read the related threads at dpreview.com and/

or robgalbraith.com

OT: off topic. There are a lot of double dippers here, both Leica and canon

users and I prefer their feedback to that of the DSLR zealots who know of

nothing else. Just a personal preference. Sorry I've ruined the purity of this

forum and taken up your valuable cyberspace with the question, Rich.

I agree. I have posted some questions on other forums in the past (Nikon, Digital Photography, Digital Darkroom etc.) and found on the whole that not only are other forums deathly dull but are on occasions very ill informed! (I wont say which forums or which questions.)

The Leica forum is the most eclectic, entertaining, photographic, sociable, argumentative, rude, supportive, informed, inclusive, bitchy, exclusive, generous, weird place on photo.net (and includes the highest proportion of people who support PN)

I think as long as the centre of gravity remains all things Leica there is no need to worry. This is such a good place to be that many people feel the need to come in and throw their toys around just to try and stop it.

I do not think I am alone in receiving (and sending) regular e-mails to people from all over the globe on a wealth of subjects.

Lets not get like the Canon EOS forum where the posting rules SCREAM out in highlighted red letters "Canon EOS questions only" (twice) and "No general photography questions" (and a whole raft of other prohibited stuff.

I pity them in their 'forum'.

There are other lively places like MF and weddings and philosophy but I think this place is best.

If I have a digital question I feel more confident asking here also.

<i>Sorry I've ruined the purity of this forum and taken up your valuable cyberspace with the question, Rich.

</i>

<br>

<br>

It was a straight forward honest question Karl as I believed you could be getting more information in forums dedicated to the camera brand and type of camera you were asking for.

I love it! Gary pops in to the Leica and Canon forums about equally - but only to bash

digital or Canon. Why not the occasional barb directed at our favorite perfume and

handbag company? Something like "If Leica could make as much in a year as Canon's

yearly R&D budget we'd all be shooting 20 MP digital Ms by now!"

<i>their feedback to that of the DSLR zealots who know of nothing else</i><p>

You would expect a DSLR zealot to know far more about "a system glitch with the D20" than a bunch of Leica users. There is a TON of information on this, although it's all ancient history and not relevant anymore, on the Canon forum and at dpreview. Your "explanation" of why you posted is here is bizarre, given what you wanted to know.

One gets the feeling that the 20D was rushed to the marketplace. Canon is up to version 1.05 on the firmware (that's a lot of fixes for a two-month-old camera). The most recent version arrived with an apology from Canon. The new version has no changes, other than it no longer contains a bug (Canon's term) that can render the camera unusable after a failed firmware update.

Amateur Photographer also reports the mirror slap on this model is noticeably louder than the previous model. On the plus side, startup time is significantly quicker (nearly instant on), and the magazine also said colors (particularly red) are no longer as hot as that from previous models.

Version 1.04 of the firmware produced camera freezes. My understanding is that it

only affected cameras which were updated while a lens was attached. The Canon

protocol that came with the camera explicitly stated that you should remove the lens.

Knowing engineers my guess is that the firmware was tested using the protocol. An

oversight but one that is understandable. Version 1.05 fixed the crashing but

contained no other problems.

I have experienced no problems with my battery grip on my 20D and it is a much

sturdier attachment that the vertical grip for my EOS 5. Nonetheless the reports of

problems are solid. I am hoping that it is a QC problem rather than a design one.

Canon has a fairly good reputation for design but their QC reputation is less than

rock solid. The same can be said for the other mass producers of course.

The mirror slap is quite loud especially compared to my EOS 5. I have not noticed

much slap induced vibration and indeed since they reduced the size (and mass) of the

mirror vibration should be reduced.

On the upside the new flash metering system gives great results. A big improvement

over the 10D.

Many thanks, Alistair. Your feedback is much appreciated and I'll pass it

along to my associate. I'd like to get him active on this forum. He's been

street shooting in Chicago since the 50's with his M3 and has work in MOMA's

permanent collection, the Chicago Art Institute's permanent collection and is

represented by a couple of galleries. He's not half bad.