Problems with 20D already showing up

rayn

Ya know, I knew this was gonna happen..... It must give people pleasure or help them to get over their own inadequacies with themselves or their portfolios, or whatever. I have had my 20D for 2 days and I have been very happy with it! I also own the 10D and I can tell you that this is a very fine camera in every regard. The speed of the camera is very impressive.(card writing, downloading, focusing, fps.... )

Sheesh, my 24 2.8 Sigma won't work on my Elan 7E or EOS 3, and that was 4 to 5 years

ago. This guy was dumb enough to try it on a 20D? Even in the late 90s Sigma had long

stopped providing ROM upgrades for that lens.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I had a problem with it on the first day. Err 99 after a shot, got some control back after fiddling a bit with power / etc., and then lost it again to Err 99. Extracted the battery & reinsterted, and was OK.

Components were all current Canon branded (except Sandisk CF card), and I wasn't in the middle of a switch -- just shooting. Looks like a software/firmware problem. Have to see if it happens again.

BTW, never had a problem like this with my 300D, even with 3rd-party firmware.

My problem seems to be slight different from most but not all others', but other than the message, the symptoms & workaround seems to be similar. Couldn't stand to read the entire dpreview thread though.

I wouldn't recommend using this camera on a critical live action shoot at this time. Perhaps after a firmware patch.

I bought a 20D last Tuesday (9/14) and so now have 3 EOS bodies (4 if you count my son's A2): 10D, 20D, 1N.

I'm keeping the 1N for film. The 20D powers up and works quicker than the 10D, but does not yet have the vertical grip available (and from what I have seen of it it is a bit clunky-don't think I will get one). The 10D is a backup for now. Likely to sell both the 10D and 20D for a full frame of the next generation.

No problems at all though.

A a former 300D user, I find the 20D pretty good in getting accurate focus with big aperture lens. There are many instance where the focus is out when I shot wide open with the following lenses: 35 f2, 85 f1.8 and 85 f1.2.

The camera wakes up instantly is a big plus. It is now like shooting with film camera again.

Shutter is loudly though but heard that is because Canon is using a better and faster shutter.

Improvement is noise. I tried not to use ISO 800 and above with 300D. Now ISO 800 is usable.<div>009WyW-19697484.jpg.6917383a2e35934e6af77b2ed48374d1.jpg</div>

I used to have a Tokina 400mm that it can't auto focus on my EOS3. I tried on 20D, and it works cheerfully. In the past 2 days I tried different lens on it, touch wood, I didn't experience the lock up yet.

Seems that this is a good DSLR, may be the only major appointment is its 1.6 crop factor.

It is really not clear *why* the shutter is louder than other models. If it was *really* better than the 300D or 10D, they would have claimed as such.

I mean, they make HUGE claims about dynamic range improvements which no one can substantiate. (there are other claims which are close to the mark)

I had a problem on the second day with the camera locking up. This time it was just after attaching a lens. I power off between lens changes. This time, it froze after power on. Power off wouldn't even turn it off at that point. No err 99. Again, it was fixed by removing & re-inserting the battery.

Again, none of these problems had anything to do with 3rd party lenses or flash.