B&W printing in Wash DC area

owen w.

I have a friend in need of a good lab that can do some careful B&W

printing in the D.C. area. He has field research negatives that are

not great (Czech film, poorly developed in LDC setting, etc). So, a

bit of personal attention to the printing will be required. Not

rocket science, but just to wrestle out whatever is possible from his

negatives. Any suggestions, please? Thank you very much.

Owen

Owen:

There's a good B&W lab in Arlington, on Wilson Blvd I believe. I don't recall the name,

address or phone number but I ran into Chris Chen there last year. You may want to

contact him. The lab is on the second floor, on which there's also a good color lab.

--Mitch/Paris

Thanks, Gentlemen. I knew you?d be there. I am grateful and my friend has already sent his thanks, too. (I, of course, will NEVER let him live down his choice of really cheap Czech film, probably brought into N.Thailand through Burma via China and places beyond. To save a few pennies then, now he must pay!)

Cheers,

Owen

<i>>> his choice of really cheap Czech film <<</i>

<br><br>

Is it by chance Foma? Cheap it may be but it's also great film. Very error tolerant, both the 200 as the 400. The 200 is more like 125 tho. Processes great in Rodinal 1:50. This film was sold repackaged by Paterson in many countries.

I wish I could say. These are old research negatives that are now destined for publication in a book. One of my best pals, who has always had zero interest or respect for photos -- except when he really needs them. (You know the type.) He needed photos for his dissertation work and was on the Thai-Burma border. He could have gone with Kodak, but went with the cheapest film he could find in the border market. The film was developed in the same border town and the prints were terrible. Now, a decade later, he's desparate to extract what he can. He's here in Thailand with me, but returns to DC tomorrow. The negatives are there, so I can't actually identify. I'll see if I can get him to email me on his return with the particulars. You've peaked my curiousity. Thanks. Owen

If he wants to do some of his own printing, he can use the facilities at Glen Echo National Park, in Glen Echo, Maryland. The charge is $6 per hour, and the public may use the facilities on Sundays and Mondays. The lab assistants are usually helpful with their advice. I suppose your friend could also put up a notice on the bulletin board to seek someone to print his photos.