Canon EF 400mm f/5.6 L USM

dk.

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone on here has this lens?

Canon EF 400mm f/5.6 L USM)

and what do they think about it? I am thinking of getting it in the

future.

From what I have heard it is better to get that (400F5.6L) then the

Canon EF 300mm f/4.0 L IS USM & Canon Extender EF 1.4x II for

picture quality etc.

If you can tell me your thoughts about this I would be grateful.

Thanks

DK.

P.s. And if you have the Canon EF 400mm f/5.6 L USM does it work

well with the Canon Extender EF 1.4x II? for picture quality? I know

it would be maunal focus on the 20D with the 1.4 extender. :o(

Thanks agian.

My 400 5.6 and my 300 + 1.4X are equally sharp. But the 400 + 1.4x is much sharper wide open than the 300 + 2x; I sold the the 2X. The 400 has faster autofocus but the 300 will focus much closer and it has IS. You didn't tell us what you're going to photograph but if your target subjects are the passeriformes I would consider the close focus rather critical. OTOH the 25mm tube will bring the 400 to 8 feet. Although I have both if I had to choose one I'd keep the 300 (and the 1.4X) because of the IS.

I have the 400/5.6L and I am amazed at the results it gives me. I use it alone or wiht the 1.4x, and it still beats out the 24-70/2.8L and the 70-200/2.8L in my opinion! The images (steady ones anyway) are tack sharp no matter how much I enlarge them. I cannot tell that the TC was used on them either. I am suprised at the quality, and how silent most users are on it.

Canon User's experience is backed up with MTF data from Canon - the 300 f/4L IS + 1.4x

II TC is optically slightly better than the 400 f/5.6L by itself.

The IS and the closer focus of the 300 are really the deal makers / breakers here. As the

300 f/4L IS + 1.4x II is quite fast enough to photograph birds in flight, race cars, and

other fast moving objects I don't think the slightly faster AF speed of the 400 makes the

deal.

For taking the time to write back.

I am interested in taking Pictures of Nature/Animals with it by the way.

If there are more of you out there that own these lenses I would still like to hear more about what you think about them etc.

I must say I would like to be able to hand hold the lens at times, and the 300F/4L "IS" + Extender EF 1.4x II would be better for that.

Canon user,Richard Snyder, Anyone? Can you tell me what shutter speeds are you able to hand hold the 300F/4L + Extender?

Andrew Robertson, where is this MTF data from Canon, do you have a link so I could see it?

Thanks again everyone, take care.

DK.

Jim, I have shot many birds in flight with my 300 f/4L IS, and the ones that weren't in

focus were not the result of too slow an AF motor.

The MTF charts for the 300 f/4L IS show it to be almost as good as the 400 f/5.6 L. When

one adds the 1.4x II TC to the 300, one gets an optical system that performs better than

the 400 f/5.6 (according, at least, to the MTF charts). In fact, the 300 f/4L IS with 1.4x TC

beats ALL the other Canon super-teles with 1.4x TC. It's almost as if the 300 f/4L IS was

designed to be used with the 1.4x TC.

For the 300 by itself I can use 1/60 consistently. With the 1.4x, I will not hesitate to try 1/60; most (not all) are free of camera shake. Be aware, though, that if you plan to photograph small active birds then 1/60 and 1/125 can be just too slow: you'll lose far more shots due to subject motion than camera shake. In my experience IS is simply not the limiting factor in bird photography; subject motion and depth of field are the issues.

Hi, re the 400 5.6 with a 1.4x it is still super sharp. Bear in mind the additional 1.6x from your 20D. I can not hand hold and get consistently sharp images with the 1.4x on top of my 10D's 1.6x (some people do however). Even with my tripod I need to really concentrate on good technique to eliminate shake wth the 1.4x. I love this lens and hand held on my 10D without the tele-converter it is awesome for birds in flight. There are examples in my photo.net portfolio.

J.

Thanks Guys for the info.

Jason Eadie, the pictures with your 10D and 400mm F5.6L are they hand held or using a tripod? What shutter speed's do you need Usually so there's no camera shake?

Your pictures are very nice I Like the Australian Kestrel the most I think but all are good.

Boy I am not sure what to get now, I guess I might get more use out of the 300mm F4L and 1.4 tele because Of the "IS" and being able to hand hold it alot more etc.

But I want the best picture Quality First and foremost, and well I am still not sure which one has it, Has no one out there done Tests on the two back to back? The 400mm F5.6L against the 300mm F4L + 1.4 Tele, that would be a nice thing to see.

Thanks again everyone.

Take care.

DK.

P.s. I am Canadian Eh! ;o) lol

Well, I prefer a lens without IS. The reviews on some of the error messages that occur with IS lenses have scared me away from them. However, if you are going hand held with a 300 or 400mm I guess the IS would be nice. Anyway, They make 3 Cannon 400 primes. One is standard f. 5.6 fixed, one is IS f. 2.8 and the other is f. 4.0 with IS and diffractive optics to decrease size. You can get the older 400 f. 5.6 for about $1100 which makes it a bargain compared to IS. I love the metal built in shade and the lens is very compact. I use it with the 1.4x extender for a 560mm effect. See attached 1/125 @ f.11. I used a tripod in my backyard with a Canon 10D.

~Doug<div>00Aw0t-21584384.jpg.417cc3da5b59aa98f8ed9cd85c35f9b4.jpg</div>

I wanted to buy either the 300mm f4 IS or the 400mm f5.6 lens...Sooo..being the smart guy I am ..I emailed Canon ....My concern is which lens would focus faster and be sharper; the 300mm IS + 1.4X TC or the 400mm f5.6 alone....The canon tech rep told me that autofocus is so close between the two there is no discernable difference...but, the 400mm f5.6 will focus sharper.....

So....I have the EOS 3 and 20D...i may just buy both anyway..hehe...

Thanks Guys, Oh and Charles your funny. ;o) LOL

DK.

P.s. By the way I have the 300mm f/4 L IS and Canon EF 1.4x II on order now and am waiting for it. I feel I will get more use out of it. I only hope it takes great sharp pictures. Wish me luck. ;o)

• 2 weeks later...

<I>Canon User's experience is backed up with MTF data from Canon - the 300 f/4L IS +

1.4x II TC is optically slightly better than the 400 f/5.6L by itself.</I><P>

Would you post a URL for this, please? I can't find any MTF data for lens plus converter

combinations on the Canon USA site. Also, according to Michael Reichman, the Canon

MTF charts are theoretical -- based on lens design and not the results of direct

measurements. So how realistic they are in real life is open to interpretation.