I'm dumbfounded: how did he do that?

jpbarilguerard

<a href="http://www.deviantart.com/view/10972521/">In Utero</a>

The light source seems perfectly positioned behind the subject, yet

perfectly invisible. A well-placed, wall-mounted flash, maybe?

But the most confusing aspect is the subject. Assuming this was taken

from a normal point of view, with the photgrapher facing the subject,

the guy would have to jump. Do you think this is humanly possible?

I'm amazed. And curious.

Don't forget to check the rest of the guy's gallery, he is an

incredible photographer.

Well, my stab is that the model is sitting and then rotated counter clockwise a few degrees. Look at his feet and bum, they look like they are weight bearing. So, with an easy extract in photoshop, I'd just dump that layer onto this background, which looks like a strobe behind a red backdrop...How'd I do?

Here is a different view of doing this - everything may not be as it seems... from the perspective of looking at the finished image your mind's eye does not mesh with the reality.

How to do it: Model curled up on a transparent platform (glass or plexi-glass). Platform covered in (probably) a fabric of the apparent colour and lit from BELOW. Fill light from above as would be expected. Camera position above and shot directly downward into the sandwich of model / "background" / and backlight.

The viewer's perspective changes from that of the photographer's when the image is viewed in a vertical - up and down orientation - on the computer screen or even on a wall. You can see it from the photographer's perspective if you place a print on the floor and gaze directly down at it... Obviously not how you would normally view a photograph.

Hunter

My guess on this is that he shot the model in front of the red background, then shot the background and combined them in photoshop. The artifacts around the knee, butt and lower back looks wrong, like a sloppy cut out. It also looks like he added the edge burn at the top after to blend the difference in tone between the plane background shot and

the background showing through the hair of the model.

The old fashioned way to *really* do this one correctly would be:

Model lying on his side on heavy duty plexiglas, cleaner than clean (final cleaning after the model is in position). Red background sheet under plexiglass, with the light spot cast by an out-of-frame spot, just like a backdrop light in conventional portraiture. Camera directly above model, otherwise conventional lighting with careful attention to avoid reflections in the plastic (camera shooting through hole in black velvet curtain, perhaps, to avoid reflections of equipment other than lights).

These days, it was probably done with careful selection and layers in Photoshop, as suggested above...