OT? Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow: Polly Perkins's camera

sionnac

In the new movie <i>Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow</i> (giant

robots!), Gwyneth Paltrow's character is gripping her retro-styled

camera throughout much of the action. I won't mention the ending,

but ouch. Can anyone tell me if it's a prop amalgamation or identify

the camera? You can see it briefly in the trailer.

<a href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0346156/trailers">Imdb trailer:

Sky Captain</a>

We have been aware of this for some time in th Argus Collector's

Group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/arguscg/).. the movie

posters have the image reversed, and in the trailers they show it

several times -- it is an Argus C-3 -- what better camera to use!

Though it looks like she's going to get her finger whacked every

time she releases the shutter...

I worked on the movie. We recorded and mixed the score at my studio and had the

director over on more than a few occasions. Being a photography nut, I asked him about

the camera and was told

that it is a prop that's based on an Argus. I don't know much about cameras made before

1975, but

it is straight from the horses mouth if that helps.

Yeh, I noticed that distinctive Argus profile the first time I saw Paltrow's promo clip when she was a guest on "The Daily Show".

One of the reasons prop masters use stuff like this is for economy. They can find lots of old Arguses easily and cheaply - and they do have a budget to stick to. If they can supply a prop camera of no particular significance for ten bucks they're gonna have a difficult time convincing the accountant why they needed a $300 Leica.

It's the same reason why you'll hear that motor drive clacking away when the photographer is using a Spotmatic with no motor drive attached - why buy an unnecessary bit of gear when the sound editor can fix it in the mix?

Besides, maybe the prop master and other folks in on the decision simply *liked* the look of the Argus. Who cares about anachronisms in a scifi flick - other than geeks like us?

I'm sure in this particular case, it was actually the DP's choice, but he was no doubt limited

to only a few "period" pieces to choose from. However, considering the amount of money

they spent on the music, I can't imagine going the extra mile to get a Leica or whatever

would have really raised any eyebrows. As Lex said, it was more a case of just liking how

the pseudo-Argus prop looked.

<i>I dont understand why they would use a camera made in the 50s for a movie set in the 30s and 40s. Personally I think a nice Leica M2 or 3 would look much more classy and 'retro' to fit the look of the film.</i><br><br>'50s?  <b>'50s?</b>    The C3 dates from 1939 and the C line goes quite a bit further back. Geez...

The C3 showed up in quite a few old films. I think the film makers were not attempting authenticity, but rather were trying to connect with their every-man audience. Respected documentary photographers like the FSA group were already working frequently with the Contax and color to produce images that were more spontaneous and more faithful to reality. The public was aware of that from popular publications, but expensive, imported miniature cameras may not have been readily available to the experience of the average movie goer. What was available at a popular price but still carrying some of the glamorous aura of 35mm was the C3. Of course, press cameras showed up in the movies too, but I think the intention there was to surround an event with the trappings of celebrity rather than to portray the photographer as a central and glamorous character.

During the scene in the uranium mine, Gwyneth Paltrow shoots a flash picture with her Argus C-3 -- without a flashgun! Most people today wouldn't notice anything wrong, because modern point-and-shoot cameras have built-in electronic flash.

Also, several closeups of her Argus C-3 show an incredibly large film counter on the camera's top plate -- right next to the actual film-counter wheel. This was a necessary plot device, because several times in the movie she worries about having only two frames left on her roll of film, so the filmmakers needed to show a film counter large enough and obvious enough for the audience to recognize.

But I'm only nitpicking...I really enjoyed the movie and its futuristic 1930s technology. Not often do you get to see a P-40 Warhawk battling giant robots in the streets of NYC!

• 8 months later...

i think it's an argus C2 with modifications:

the shown framecounter with letters on top does not exist on the original C2 (it has kind of a dial as framecounter), as said before.

and some chrome parts are painted black.

and no argus label exists (like on the C2 - the C3 has a argus label)