environmentalist photographers

martin_ceperley

Okay, everyone take a break from the questions about where the

brightest flowers are or which lens to use, my question is related

to the message and meaning of nature photography.

I was wondering if you can think of any artist's that inspire you

with their portrayl of environmental issues, dealing with

conservation, land manangement, etc. Two that come to my

mind are Robert Glenn Ketchum and Richard Misrach. I am

particulary fond of these two photographers because they break

free of the tired aesthetic rules and boundaries of 'nature

photography' and make art with a message, with a purpose,

dealing with emotions, spirituality, and dealing with current

issues. I have recently been working in the same vein, to see

some of my latest work go to <A HREF="http://

www.ceperley.com/photo/cut">www.ceperley.com/photo/cut</A>

or click on my portfolio, but I would like to see as much work as I

can and get inspired.

So, anyone else knows of photographers or artists that deal with

these contemporary environmental issues? thanks -martin

The photo that you show on your site is clearly a shot of trees cut on a reflorested area. I don't think there is anything wrong with selectively cutting down trees on a reforestation project. For us to preserve the forests of the world we must make preserving forest profitable. This is called sustained devolopment and is the cornerstone of modern ecologically correct thinking. Viewing your site I think it's obvious that you don't understand this concept.In northern Minnesota, lumber companies selectively cut huge tracts of forest. The profit they make on this allows them to maintain these forests for future generations. I'm not defending all lumber companies, especially those who operate in the Phillipines and in South America, who obey no rules and ruthlessly clearcut everything. Your photo does not combine well with its title "Clearcut", why don't you put the correct title: "Selective Cut". Martin, I'm trying to help with this criticism. Good luck, if you've caught the preservationist bug than you'll find thet you will be fighting a never ending battle. Thanks, Alex.

This is not a clear cut. Clear cutting is just that--clear. Nothing left standing, not even a gangly sapling. I own a few acres bordered by a national forest on one side and private timber company land on the other sides. I've seen clear cutting. In my area, it is not practices that much anymore, thank God.

I'm not familiar with the other photographers mentioned but I have admired SOME of Robert Glenn Ketchum's photography for a number of years. I do not share your admiration of his photos dealing with a "message". I do not need to view a photograph of a drilling rig, clear cut or steel mill to feel more involved in nature. I prefer the "tired aestheic rules and boundaries" and their uplifting "message". Photographs of drilling rigs, clear cuts and steel mills only show me that, unless we are willing to live in huts in the woods, there are other things necessary to our daily life.

I think that this is photojournalism. If you are interested in studying this stuff, there are loads of excellent work by well known photojournalists that would better serve your purpose. These folks have specialized in tackling one cause or another. That said, a particularly interesting case is Ansell Adams treatment of Manzanar. Here an artist really succeeds in the arena of the human environment.

I took a look at your photo. As far as I can tell, it may be too subtle for public consumption. It doesn't appear to be about logging. There are no logs, stumps, or mineral soil evident. It appears to me to be about the boles of standing trees. Your heart is probably in the right place, but if you want to see some real clearcut units, visit the Pacific Northwest.

I haven't kept track of the names of photographers, but have seen examples (more than I care to think about) of hard hitting images of reckless environmental destruction at the hands of man. And they have helped as catalysts to get me involved in land use issues. For a couple of years I accompanied US Forest Service employees into the woods to review timber sales practices and specific plans to do what where... basically tryimg to hold them to the law, which usually has been greatly violated over the years.

When I look at the photo on your site, what surprised me was the type of the angled cut on the tree stumps. It has the look of a beaver at work, but most probably was the result of someone using a manual hand tool. That's unusual in this day and age where the chainsaw reigns supreme for taking trees down.

It's a big and increasingly complex issue, now complicated even more by the effects of 100 yrs of misguided fire suppression policy which will result in tree thinning and prescribed burns to take place over vast areas of forest; an environmental mess of immense proportions.

I'm not at all crazy about "environmentalist" photographers. I think they are a self serving group of elitests that in the end are quite boring. I'm into photography as an outlet for my creative expression. While conservation is important to me, the current fad of "environmentalism" seems to be little more than an expression of Marxist propaganda. I do not trust these people. If a few make good photos, so be it.

Kent in SD

When "conservation" and "photographer" are mentioned in the same context, the first name that comes to mind is Ansel Adams, and other great nature photographers that have shot for National Geographic. My neighbor is a successful large format landscape shooter, who also aims to preserve the environment.

If you're looking for inspiration for your environmentalist photos, first think of the message you're trying to get across. What is it, exactly? Once you've solidified that, then you can try and send that message through your photographs--not an easy task by any measure. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Galen Rowell. he is very knowledgeable in addition to being an awesome writer and photographer. his Bay Area Wild book was written primarily for conservation of the San Francisco Bay Area and has many pictures to highlight his vision. he includes famous local conservationists as guest writers.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
I can't say I follow specific photographers, but my feeling is that anyone with beautiful nature photos is encouraging environmental concsiousness. A lot of people these days may spend their whole lives in urban areas, and while they know there is a world out there, they have very little appreciation for it. By showing people the beauty and benefits of our natural surroundings, we are playing a large part in encouraging people to become more aware of the environment. Yay nature photographers!

• 1 month later...
Here in India as well people like Nitin Upadhye and others are working closely with enviromental causes. I strongly think that issues are best highlighted when taken up visually. evn our Natio0anl Photographic Magazine "Asian Photography" brings out a wildlife special in October and starting this year we will also have a Enviroment day special issue in June.

• 3 years later...

Martin, look past the talk he gives and look at the hipocricy of Robert Glenn Ketchum. He

screams at chemical companies and other companies but yet produces the most toxic print

he can. Cibachromes, when all the technology is out there to produce a non toxic print that

looks better than a cibachrome. Come on, no boubt great speaker but, he should do what he

preaches. There alot of better photographers out there than Robert, when evaulating photos,

just look at the quality of the images. Go look at galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com,

josephholmes.com, lightsong.com. they now how to shoot and there prints are impecable.

Jack