Repairing the leather/rubber on an M4-2 and value?

david_boily

I'm not yet a leicaphile, but hope to be soon. I fell upon an M4-2

in a pawn shop today. After much research, I learned all about the

quirks of the M4-2 and would still like to buy this camera.

The camera seems in overall good condition mechanically, but is

missing a couple of chunks of rubber or leather (what is that

anyways?). My question is this: Can this be fixed and at what

cost? The asking price is Waaaaaay to high even for a mint M4-2.

From what I've seen, they go for about $530 in good condition. I'd

place this one in the Bargain condition, if not to say ugly.

Any comments on the lens that comes with it would also be welcome.

It had a Summilux 50mm f1.4. The Autiwinder too, but I don't want

that.

Thanks,

Dave

Awesome products! I like the snake skins. I would definately re-cover the camera. However, I would assume that a Leica with a severely damaged or even replaced Vulcanite loses significant value. Any idea of a fair price for a 4 or 5 out of 10 M4-2?

Has anyone ever done this? How hard is it to do?

I think that they know that Leicas are worth alot of money, but I doubt they know that the M4-2 isn't highly regarded because of the cost cutting measures and the production move to Canada.

The next problem is that their price is outrageously high. I've seen M4-2's in good shape go for $530 on Ebay (they are asking $800), the 50/1.4 Summilux has recently sold for about $750 (they are asking $1,165) and the winder is barely fetching $100 but they are selling it for more than 3 times this.

Ideally, I would just make an offer on the body, but I doubt that they will want to split the set. According to my tally, that mans they are asking a total of $2,288 but I guauge the value at less than half that. That would be a tough negotiation!

I'm also taking a risk that the camera will need a serious tune-up. It does however NOT fall within the serial number range that was reputed for being lemons. (1468001-1482000) I assume that this camera would always be worth less because of the Vulcanite replacement/repair and therefore much less desirable to collectors.

Way too much money! I did a Cameraleather recovering of one of my M2 bodies a year or so ago. I think the cost was under $30 for the new covering. The biggestr hassel is getting the remains of the old covering off the body. It probably took about two hours but was accomplished while I was watching TV at the same time. The new covering went on easily and looks like the original.

David, what are your chances of the pawnshop owner coming that far down to the real value of that stuff? There are plenty of older Leica bodies available for reasonable prices. It sounds like that M4-2 has been really trashed. Vulcanite is a rubber compound which was applied in heated, softened form, and the reason it comes off is that it gets brittle with time and exposure to sunlight, just like any rubber thing. You see M2s and M3s with major vulcanite loss, rarely an M4 with more than a couple chips in high-wear places, and almost never missing vulcanite on an M4-2 or M4-P. They just aren't old enough for time to be the major factor. Perhaps the previous owner(s) left the camera on the rear shelf of their car or something. I would pass on it.

Ben,

You echo my thoughts exactly. It has been my experience that whenever you start negotiating with a pawn shop, they immediately revert back to their computer to see how much THEY paid for it. This would undoubtedly be way too much and they might have to take a loss to sell it. Something they probably won't do. On the other hand, what if they've had this camera for like 10 years and just want to move it? When I walked into the shop, I looked carefully at the display glass that was behind the counter and saw nothing of interest. I was tuning to leave, when I thought I saw the tip of a RF sized lens. The camera was at the back on the top shelf on it's back hidden by a few crappy SLRs. If this is how they are trying to sell it, then I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't sold in years.

The flaking rubber doesn't really bother me because I'd replace it and have it look pretty good. I read this about the rubber "The vulcanite was replaced by a cheaper plastic material which in my experience does not wear as well."

I'm going to go down there and lay it out for them. Take it or leave it, what do I have to lose? they don't have to take my word for it, they are about 100 yards from one of the most reputable Leica dealers in Montreal who would easily say the same thing as me.

David,

FWIW, half a year ago I got a mintish M2 for $650, which I believe is a fair value. A good friend got it for me in the Northwest from a dealer friend. I think you can do much better than the pawnshopper is asking just by hanging around this forum and eventually catching a likeable offer. M6's surface all the time (at higher prices) but other types too. That particular camera sounds like it has been badly neglected or even trashed; let it pass.