Street Photography in France - your experience?

donnydarko

No problems shooting in the street in Paris (except for the proverbial kindness of Parisians but, at least, you don't have to live with it on an everyday basis...)

The stupid law in question comes in motion when you try to make any profit out of your images, then yes, it is forbiden to publish anyone's face without his consent.

It all begun when some people blamed Princess Diana's death on paparazzi 'chasing' her and now, anyone who sees his face, or even property (owner or architect of a particular buiding...) published in a newspaper, book or postal card is entitled to try to get his share of the profit!!

Net result: blurred faces everywhere in newspapers! Lawsuits from owners of houses near landmarks on photographers who whish to use their pictures to publish books or posters....

Some people are actually trying to ammend this law to the effect that, if you or your reputation is not damaged by the comercial use of the picture, then your just have to live with it.

I was there in July and had no problems either. I had heard about this law but I never ran into any issues. Hell, if someone calls you on it, play the "dumb tourist" (who knows no French, of course), walk away and start shooting again.

<p><i>I will shoot some pictures in Paris in a week, but I heard

that the french have some new stupid laws that forbid to take photos

of people in public without their agreement.</i></p>

<p>Of course, if the French have any laws that you don't like you're

always free not to go to France. It is worth noting that the

"street photography" point of view is not the only one.</p>

Last June when I wandered in an open-air farmers market, I

was surprised that almost every vendor objected to having his picture

taken although it was clear that it wasn't going to be a close-up of them. If they saw you from a distance pointing a camera in their direction, they would gesture at you not to take a picture. After a while, I was tired of the general hostility and quit taking pictures. When I talked with them, they claimed precisely that there is a law that prohibits you to take pictures of other people without their agreement. However, I did not have this problem on other locations, such as the Place du Tertre (maybe most of the folks there are other

tourists).

<a href = "http://www.terragalleria.com/europe/france/">Pictures of France</a>.

France is a lovely place to make pictures in. People are in my experience very cool about pictures being made. I had no problem in Paris except the normal kind of the photographer at large. Slight problem at the Pompidou Centre, a good place well worth several visits, some rooms you can photograph in some you cannot but they have no signs which is which. Maybe it was in the visiting exhibitions that it was not allowed. There was one exception I encountered a problem in a smaller town. I spoke to a Gendarme and as far as I understood it you can make general pictures that include several people but to single someone out is not allowed. I think that?s what was said. The Gendarmes were very laid back and gave the guy who had made the fuss over the picture short shrift. They seemed to think as I do that proving you are making a photograph of a particular person is a hard thing to do. I mean people walk into my pictures all the time. They are of course always very welcome. Someone mentions the street photographer point of view is not the only one. No but it is a good one and one worth defending just as freedom of the press is something we should defend. What freedom of the press? All of this is a wider topic that I?d like to raise and when I have sorted out what I want to say I?ll post a question on it.

"Of course, if the French have any laws that you don't like you're always free not to go to France. It is worth noting that the "street photography" point of view is not the only one."

Sure, I would not go to Bagdad and take close-up pictures of people playing with a Kalashnikov, but France is a civilized country.

And, just by the way, a guy named Henri Cartier-Bresson was one of those who turned street photography into art. Some years ago he complained in public about upcoming limitations to his art. Probably, all this fuzz is due to the american way of taking everyone to court when there is a chance to do so and when there is a lawyer who supports that nonsense as long as there is money involved.

This last time in Paris I became very bold and shot candids the way I shoot them back home in Japan. No problems.

Paris is so full of tourists with cameras that the Parisians have become immune to photographers. At least in the center of the city.

I don't stick my camera in people's faces Wee Gee style at home and didn't do so in Paris.<div>009vjn-20213484.jpg.963e889cd82652a8f7feb7823ecef3f3.jpg</div>

I was just there in August. I carried 2 Canon 10D bodies and 3 lenses arond

everywhere - day and night. I shot about 3000 images in the 2 weeks I was there and

many were 'in the faces of Parisians. I did get some "pa photo" sneers from time to

time. But mostly I encountered mild ennui and quizical stares. I shot students,

seniors, coficials, homeless, prostitutes, and tourists from everywhere. NO PROBLEMS.

Of course if it felt wrong to shoot I followed my instincts. Everyone should. People

have a way of telling you about their comfort level without words. Listen with your

heart! ad SMILE! A simple smile can disarm the most caustic of attitudes quickly. -

Good luck on the street. --Lee McLaughlin<div>009wHv-20228284.jpg.ec657605fa6a0ef759b799bbbbb64b4e.jpg</div>

I have been in Paris a couple of times over the last couple of years and had no negative reactions, even when shooting on the Metro. In fact, when I was shooting in the marches, folks even mugged for the camera. But, I do speak French fluently, I never tried to be sneaky, and I simply raised my camera and shot discreetly. When people saw me and made eye contact, I made a point of engaging them to make sure they didn't mind if I took photos, and they usually either nodded (sometimes curtly) or simply ignored me.

I will shoot some pictures in Paris in a week, but I heard that the french have some new stupid laws that forbid to take photos of people in public without their agreement.

"Courtesy" is not a law. You'll need to signed release if you're planning to use these shots commercially. Same thing in the US.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...

I live in Paris have never had a problem with this. The only problem with street photos in France is that you can't publish

them without the agreement from the people photographed.

But nobody seems to care about you shooting them, and the police doesn't stop you for carrying a camera.

http://martinsoler.com/2010/09/24/looking-back-paris-street-photography/