35-70 2.8 question

katie h.

Howdy. I just purchased a used Nikkor 35-70 2.8D lense from KEH. I

have a questions for people that have owned this lense because it

didn't come with a manual. Mainly I want to know does the macro

feature only work at 35? The other macro zoom lenses I've owned

only does macro at 70. 35 seems kind of wide. Do users of this

lense like the macro feature? Any examples you want to share?

Thanks.

Katie

Yes, the macro feature only works at 35mm. There should be an

orange line ending in an "M" and then in white "f=35mm"

surface painted on the lens. The macro feature is more of an

advertising gimmick than anything else. If you are really

interested in macro I recommend one of Nikons Micro-Nikkors.<br>

<br>

Regards,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.

The macro feature works at the 35mm focal length only, and only with manual-focus. The leaf was shot with a D100, available light, f-stop 6.3, shutter 1/160. The lens has a 1:4 macro capability, which limits its usefulness if you're trying to get close-ups of tiny stuff. Of course, you can use extension rings and get 1:1. In general, it's hard to find fault with the lens.<div>00A9fc-20507584.jpg.00af6933d7d46be5d0cd1e25cdc5401e.jpg</div>

One of the beauty spots of this lens is exactly its macro capabilities with a wide angle of view at 35mm focal length. The background will be not as blurred as with a 200mm macro, it will encompass a wider swath of the environment of the macro subject, the background will be a bit more sharp than when done with a longer macro. Quite unusual and nice effects are thus possible, if one is aware of this feature.

It's a fantastic lens! I've only used the macro capability once, relying on a 60mm Nikkor for such shots. But for all around use, it is tack sharp. I'll be using mine at a ballet school this Sunday with (past has proven) great results.

And if you think this lens is good, try to pair it with a 20-35 2.8 Nikkor (now discontinued). Superb combination.

I'm glad to hear such good things about this lense. David, my needs for closeups are pretty simple at this point. I just want to capture details at weddings in between all the other running around. I think this will work just fine. Dan, this was an Excellent (E) lense and I was very impressed. No really obvious signs of wear, clean glass and a VERY smooth zoom and focus ring. I was very happy with my purchase. Good luck with yours and thanks everyone for your input.