N80 Focus Modes*long*

d_price

Ok, I'm a little confused by the various focusing modes on the N80.

Sorry if this question is redundant but I searched for the answer,

but didn't find what I was looking for. I was trying to figure out

the differences between the closest subject priority during single

servo and continuous focusing. I was playing with the camera last

night and I thought that I had it set for continuous focusing with

closest subject priority but it seems like it isn't operating any

differently in single servo vs. continuous.

The manual seems to state that the camera will only track focusing on

a subject if it moves before the focus has been locked. Not if the

subject moves after it has been locked on by one of the sensors.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm a little confused.

I have to say, I have an F80 and I too suffer from focussing mode confusion - I have to say I tend to use the single servo mode myself just to keep it simple.

The Thom Hogan book does have an excellent explanation though - the best I've seen so far, and I second the recommendation to get it.

For most of the time I've used F80 set on aperture priority, matrix metering, continuous fire and:

Continuous auto focus (rotating AF-mode-selector at front of the camera on C position) which ensures that the shutter fires at the moment when shutter release is pressed, no matter how poor the focus might be.

AF ON when AE/AF-L Button at back of the camera is pressed, this is a custom function 11-4. I prefer this to factory default setting.

Dynamic AF mode (rotating AF-mode-selector at back of the camera on [+] position) with center sensor as a priority area. The chosen sensor seems to have very high priority and so far I have not been worried that camera might independently chose any undesired area to focus, but I welcome the opportunity that autofocus-system might work as advertised and is in unexpected situation able to follow the movements of the subject.

Normally when shooting with autofocus the process is something like: choose aperture, AF ON - get the desired target on focus, AF OFF, recompose and release the shutter.

It seems that in my first message I completely forgot the original question, sorry.

When you're using closest subject priority in either in AF-S or AF-C mode, the actual focusing is exactly the same. The difference is:

With AF-S the shutter will fire only if the autofocus system has locked the focus, no matter how hard you try to release the shutter. This is not usually a issue with still subjects but with moving target it is likely to happen that you're not able to succeed in timing.

With AF-C the shutter will fire allways when shutter is released, even if there is nothing in focus. With moving target it is likely to happen that you get some pictures that are out of focus since F80 has relative slow autofocus but you will do better in timing.