RB 50mm ... slight scratch... your thoughts?

syd

Hello all.

What are your thoughts regarding a used Rb 50mm that is decribed as an

8+ with a slight front scratch, in terms of it's effect on the optics?

The price is right and I have seen photographs of the lens

cosmetically and it looks good.

Would a slight scratch to the front glass have any effect on the

images I shoot? Should I wait until a clean glass version comes up -

my preference - or would this be a bargain that really has very little

effect on the performance of the lens.

Another question, is there any way to repair a slight scratch in the

lens coating? I assume it is the coating that is slightly scratched.

I'm just wondering whether I should grab a bargain if I'm being overly

sensitive to the phrase "slight scratch" or whether I'm better off

staying well clear?

Your experience in this matter is highly desireable.

No way to tell. The worst thing that can happen is that when you photograph a bright landscape, preferrably against the sun you will see low contrast flare-like blotch where this scratch is.

Things that can help to make a decision - how big is the scratch, and how far away its from the center.

Well my thoughts about the size of the "scratch" exactly. I have e-mailed the vendor in question and asked for exact details of the scratch, size, loacation, length, is it in the coating or deeper etc.

I assume that as long as I do not shoot directly into the sun, with the sun striking the glass head on, then I should be relatively safe given the "slight scratch" in not absurd.

It's my guess also that if I use a lens hood that this might help to cut down on flare also. Anyone else have any thoughts on this? What is the economical viability of replacing a front lens only on a 50mm? Has anybody done this before or know if it's A. - worth it and B. - economically viable?

I saw your post on Mamiya's site too. The front element can be replaced. You'd have to remove the name ring, then take off the retaining ring that holds the front glass in the lens. I don't know what a new glass will cost but only a call to Mamiya's parts department can answer that. Since you are in Auss, I am not sure if you have a Mamiya there but an e-mail to them may help.

Good luck.

The more you say, the less people listen.

The economics of it depends on how much you are actually saving by buying a scratched lens. Lenses can be recoated (so I've heard) and I guess you could try to have the front element replaced, but what would be the final cost of all this?<p>

I recently bought this same lens on Ebay, along with the 90mm, and I paid more than twice the price for the 50mm! So I guess if you are getting a really good deal on the scratched one and might possibly be able to use it 'as is', it may be worth the risk. Might be tough to resell it though if you decide to bail.

<br>

Henry.

Paul,

I'm hoping one of the Mamiya company lads at the Mamiya forum will chip in with the info I need on the front lens replacement. Put it this way, a new 50 C at the cheapest is for me around $1600 AUD, if I buy the used one with a slightly scratched lens it will cost me around $450 with an 8+ rating. If I can get a replacement front element + used 50 C well under the cost of a new lens then I've saved money because I was thinking of buying a new one outright.

Thats why at this stage it's a question of the law of diminishing returns. If it's fairly inexpensive to buy a new front element then it may well be worth it.

I understand how this works, you are correct. Call Mamiya and see what they'd want for the front element, not the entire capsule with floating element, just the front piece of glass. If they offer an entire capsule, it will be expensive.

Buying a junker or broken lens with good glass will be more economical if you can find one cheap. besides I will probably buy the rest of the lens from you for the other parts I can use. Do you know anyone selling a broken 50mm-C we can use?

Paul, NYC USA

I don't know anybody with a junked 50 C right now, no. I'll wait for a response from the Mamiya forum heads before I make a long distance call to Mamiya though, hopefully they will offer me some kind of answer. As you said, I'm only wanting the front element and not the whole shebang. If I can get that and get it fitted locally and the lens is clean and functional in all other ways then I will have potentially saved a bundle.

Mamiya is very slow on the forums and will recomend you send them the lens for repairs. Replacing the front glass is so easy a kid can do it. I'll try to call Mamiya Monday, it's local.

How much are you paying for the scratched lens?

It's a speculative purchase at this stage but it's at $350 USD. I'd be apreciative of any info you can dig up locally from Mamiya, thankyou. I know Mamiya Forum is slow, been a local there for a few years now but sometimes you get lucky... sometimes.

However, my humble experience tell me that a scratch in the front lens is nominally undetectable in the final print. I've used scratched lenses many times in the years and the pictures were just perfect. No flares or whatsoever. It makes sense if you think about how infinitesimal is the area of the scratch compared to the area of the whole front lens - that's what counts, in the end. I would just buy the lens and use it, if the price is good.

if you are planning to replace the front element you are probably better off buying a "good" one to start. i say some 50C on KEH.com the other day going for about 450-500 US$. by the time you figure in repair costs, and extra shipping to oz and all you will be paying extra IMO. if you are not in a rush wait for keh to get some more in. i am with the above poster, i use blemished lenses for years and do not notice anything....but this is just a hobby for me.

eddie

I just spoke to Mamiya, they don't sell the just the front element, you'd have to buy the entire front helical with the floater. It will cost as much as a used lens in perfect mint condition.

So does anyone have a junker laying around in the closet you'd like to sell? ANYONE???? PLEASE????

it's a valid question and it is worth the repair if we can find another junker 50mm. the broken lens I have is in mint condition except the floating element isn't working, and the fellow that needs a front elemnet can benifit too since I don't need the glass I just need the mechanism.

anyone have a broken 50mm lens in any condition that is willing to sell for parts? fungus eatten, bad shutter, no matter, i need parts