Just purchased an M6 body in E++ condition for USD 1000, serial

174xxxx I believe dates it to 1988. It has "M6" in large writing on

the front panel (not "Leica M6") - is this common? Can anybody tell

me if I was ripped off on the price? It seems VERY clean and

generally very well looked after.

I'd like to use the camera for street candids (my EOS system makes

me embarrassed in public) - imagine my delight when my wife

said "you bought that piece of junk for 1000 dollars, are you

crazy!!!" - I knew then this would be the perfect public camera :))

Can anybody recommend a good general purpose lens for available

light candids? I potentially could purchase a new 50/1.4 Summilux

but thats pushing my budget to an extreme!

thanks guys

consider the various 35mm and 50mm Voigtlander offerings... the Konica M-Hexanons are also extremely good value for the money (scarcer though)... of course you could spring for leica glass, but unless you're easily subject to buyers regret spend the savings on film and chemicals...

Any of the 35mm or 50mm Summicrons is the classic match-up. For street stuff, I would

go with one of the pre-ASPH 35mm crons. The first, 8 element version, has become a

collectible which has driven up the price so look for a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th version. They are

offered for sale on this forum all the time.

Just my two cents :-).

The "big" M6 is probably best described as "unusual" rather than rare. At the moment they don't seem to command and more than a miniscule value increase over a regularly marked M6 (if at all) as far as I have noticed. The price you paid seems about normal for the US.

For a lens the 50mm f2 Hexanon is good value (about US$300 used), as is the Voigtlander 50mm f1.5 Nokton (US$ 350 new). If you want real Leica glass on a budget definitely consider the 40mm Summicron (f2) C made for the Leica CL (US$250 used?). With a slight modification (search here for details) it will actually be a pretty accurate match for your Leica M6's 35mm frameline. There has been some discussion on this here recently that is worth reading. There is also a 40mm Rokkor that is basically the same lens.

Enjoy.

People have been talking about the 40mm f/1.4 Nokton. There has been the usual quibble about bokeh and stuf, but I think for its price, it's hard to beat.

Or if you're in the market for a poor man's Noctilux, I love my Canon 50mm f/1.2. It flares, and has bad distortion, but when you're in a pinch, I don't know any other f/1.2 lens that's as cheap.

You can't go wrong with a Summilux 50 for working in available light. You should be able to find the latest, pre-aspherical version for about $1,000 or so on the used market, less for the earlier versions.

The lens testers will tell you differently, but in the real world, it's one of the nicest 50's out there for your purposes.

If you mean traditional street photography, then do what Rolfe said - get a 35mm Summicron from the '70s or '80s. And get brave and get close to the action. If you're shy and want to shoot surreptitiously, get a 50mm Summicron. (But get the 35 and get close if you want the pictures to have the energy of the street.) As for the body, if you are a collector, then lament the lack of the word Leica on your camera. But if you're a shooter, and it sure sounds like you are since your wife's admonishment only makes you smile, then get some black paint and fill in that stupid M6 engraving and everything else that isn't part of taking the pictures. Do you think in feet or meters? Put paint in the markings that you don't think in. You want that thing to look like a generic piece of crap that you got as a freebie for opening up a checking account at the bank. That's another reason to get an f/2 lens and not a big-glass f/1.4. Become the dork that nobody wants to see.

Welcome to the nuthouse. Watch the FS posts here. Items are usually fairly priced, accurately described and sell fast. A 50 and a 35 ought to get you well on your way. I'd go for the f 2.0 Crons until you really see that you need f 1.4. Used lenses are the best value.

The CV lenses are well regarded too.

Welcome to the assylum Ed : ) $1000 for an Exc++ M6 from 1988 is a decent price, hopefully it's had a service along the way and won't need one soon. I picked up an earlier M6 (1985) for $850 that had been completely overhauled (new meter, new body cover, CLA) but it has a series of pinprick marks through the black into the gray underlayer next to the eyepiece, something that deflates a Leica's value like sticking an icepick into a tire. I've heard the same comment from my wife numerous times! Just show her on Leica's website how much an a la carte MP in black chrome with no topcover engraving and the M6 rewind crank would cost, that should calm her down.

As to a lens, it depends on your comfort zone what focal length you'd want first for street candids. I prefer a 90, some people are ok with a 50 and some others have no problem getting close to strangers with 35, 28 or even 21mm. To have the most flexibility you'd want the fastest available (f/2 in 90mm, f/1 or 1.4 in 50mm, and 1.4 in 35mm). The latest in each category (excepting f/1 50mm) are ASPH lenses and very expensive. The 50 is so new you almost can't get it new and probably won't find a used one for a while (then again, it's not unheard of for people to buy those new ultra-expensive Leica lenses and then sell them a couple weeks later for a huge loss). A used 90 or 35 ASPH will set you back well past $1000 each. For economy your best bet is a used 50 f/1.4, serial # over 1844001, with 43mm filter size. I picked one up, from the mid 80s, for around $600 not that long ago. There is an older 35 1.4 also but the performance at 1.4 is not as good as the 50.

If you will be shooting mostly in good light and/or have no problem using fast film, then an f/2 (35 or 50) or 2.8 (90) will cost you much less. There really isn't a dog among any of these, just make sure the glass isn't fungused or the coatings all marked up. Especially the chrome Summicrons from the 50s and 60s had softer front coatings and unless someone kept a UV filter on it most of them end up with more or less messed up front coating. This doesn't affect sharpness but it does increase the tendencey to wash out from flare, of a lens that already has an easy time doing that. Which brings up another matter, for outdoor shooting make sure to get the proper lens shade with especially the older Leica lenses. The rattier the outer cosmetics are on Leica anything, the cheaper it will come. The lenses were made so strong that it's really rare to find one that's truly worn out not matter how ratty it looks on the outside. Good luck and enjoy!

Welcome! (?) the CVs are very good value (I have 4) and second hand Leica lenses are relativly cheap (about the same as a new CV) mine are from the '60s and perform very well. f2.0 is enough for most availble light stuff (given you can hold a rangefinder better than an SLR) with 400 film. First lens? I would go for a 50 'cron (I did).

Guys

Thanks for the great responses - certainly I hoped that I was also buying into a "community" of Leica users.

I am a long time user of high end Canon AF gear, and whilst I'm not ready to sell it all yet - this is a jump that a few years ago I never thought I'd make... from a fast digital AF SLR (EOS 10D) and 24-70/2.8 L, 135/2 L and 300/2.8 lens to a single M6 body and lens.

This week I am off on a business trip to Georgia (the country), Uzbekistan and around Kazakhstan for 20 days (I spend a lot of time in these countries) and rather than take the Canon EOS gear (which always attracts attention) I'd thought I would make a break and leave all that gear at home and just take the M6 and one lens (yet to be purchased). This seems perfect to me. A simple unobtrusive reliable range finder and lens - easy to carry and inconspicuous to use.

I am based out of Kazakhstan (but am British) thus my choice of used Leica gear (that I can get before my trip on Saturday) is limited.. bear in mind that prices are high here, and getting the used M6 was a stroke of luck.

This is what is available used here (that I can find):

28/2.8 ELMARIT-M $480

35/3.5 SUMMARON-M $480

50/2.8 ELMAR-M $500

28-35-50 TRI-ELMAR-M $1200 (but in 4/5 condition haven't checked it)

New I can get most of the current lens from the Leica dealer here with say a +20% premium on US prices.

Really looking forward to using this camera, it inspires confidence and I have not even purchased a lens yet!

Appreciate the responses - already feel good that I purchased the M6!

PS. For those who wonder why the M6. Price was the main consideration coupled with wanting to buy into the "M" series after reading a lot about the legendary M3. I would have purchased a used M3 (one was available) but wanted an in-built meter for an 'all-in-one" package.

Ed,

get a Leica Summicron 2/35 (last pre-asph) for your M6. This was my first M-lens . After many years owning all kind of (expensive) M lenses, I always come back to this set. It is the best compromise mattering size, speed, optical quality and gives you the best overview for the leica viewfinder 0,72. This is also the choice of many others, i.e. last time Ren頂urri was visiting Munich and having an exhibition there, I saw him with his M6 and the 2/35 only.

Regards Moritz

Ed, my Leica M6TTL actually cost me more than twice what your M6 did -- $1200 for the camera itself, and $1000+ for the leather sofa set that my wife insisted she had the right to if I was going to go around buying thousand dollar cameras! Actually, I think I'm going to be hearing this refrain for some time to come.

If you're into the one body/one lens approach, I'd recommend either a 28 or a 35. Actually, a 35 would be better suited to your M6's .72 viewfinder. While you can use the extreme edges of the finder to frame a 28 you'll have to be rolling your eyes around a bit. I consider the 35 to be the best all round lens. Personally, I have a CV 35/1.7 and I'm totally pleased with that.

I'd love to own the 35/1.4 lux but I can't afford both it AND whatever my wife would claim in compensation! : )

<i>I'd like to use the camera for street candids (my EOS system makes me embarrassed in public)</i>

<p>You ought to watch the DVD documentary "War Photographer" sometime and see how a true master of the camera uses his "embarrassing" EOS system to produce some of the greatest photographs ever made... it's all about the mind and eye, not the camera.

"This is what is available used here (that I can find):

28/2.8 ELMARIT-M $480 35/3.5 SUMMARON-M $480 50/2.8 ELMAR-M $500 28-35-50 TRI-ELMAR-M $1200 (but in 4/5 condition haven't checked it) "

The Tri-Elmar would be my choice simply for the flexibility (and take some 800 or even 1600 film for those minor occasions when you bump into f4 and can't find anything to steady yourself enough for the required shutter speed). However it's a rather new lens and must have really have had the heck beat out of it to be in 4 or 5 condition and even in 7 condition it shouldn't be more than $700.

$480 for a 35/3.5 Summaron is a rip off. $480 for a 28 Elmarit is a great price, as long as it's at least a 2nd version because the 1st version blocks the light path to the M6 meter cell, so be sure to mount it and check. If it's ok on the M6 I'd snap it up regardless, due to the price, but you'll probably find it a bit restrictive as a one and only lens.

Which brings me to the 50 Elmar. If it's the current version (serial# over 3 million) it's not a bad price. I'd buy it and the 28. If it's an older Elmar (serial number under 3million) it's way too high for the US market but if it's in mint shape it's still a good lens.

"You ought to watch the DVD documentary "War Photographer" sometime and see how a true master of the camera uses his "embarrassing" EOS system to produce some of the greatest photographs ever made... it's all about the mind and eye, not the camera."

Ed's leaving on Saturday, think that's enough time for him to re-train his mind to match a seasoned war photographer?

Hi Ed,

Welcome to the crazy world of Leica shooters, and congrats on getting the M6. It is a great shooting tool , and I sure hope you will use the heck out of it, because it sure can take a beating !

Like many here, the 35/2 is a great lens with a very useable angle of view, but I tend to use my 50/2 more these days. Either one would be great, though the 35/2 is more expensive. I probably won't go for the summilux because of the size, and as I shoot Tri-X most of the time, I don;t tend to use that speed so much.

Yep, I recently travelled without my EOS gear too, and just the M6 and 50/2, and it was the most liberating experience ever !

All the best !

Like what others said, pre-asph Summicron, I like the 4th version 35 or 50. The 35, gives you more lattitude for zone focusing, but the 50 is a great all around lens for having only 1. The others are all fine too. But the pre-asph crons are not that much more, and for my money top-o-the-heap.

I don't know Skip at all, but there you right there. I'd check that one out. Decent price, great lens. Also the collapsable Elmar if its a new one, is maybe a lil high, but good choice. The collapables give the camrea a funky, old world look to them.

But this cron, check it out.

Hi, Ed, and welcome to the world of quirky Leica users!

To complete your camera body with a lens that'll do it justice, pick a 35mm. Granted, my first lens was a very inexpensive 'cron 50/2, but once I got a 35mm... that became inseparable from my camera.

BTW, an Elmarit 28/2.8 for $480 is a steal! If I were you, I'd grab it right away... except for the fact that your VF magnification is 0.72 (which makes the 28 framelines occupy too much of the viewfinder). In any case... it's a fast lens, so go get it. Here in the States, you could search for a long time before finding an Elmarit of that kind at that particular price.

I'd steer clear from the Tri-Elmar. Too slow to my taste. Takes away the fun from shooting with a rangefinder camera.

Take care and have fun shooting!