Bogen 3221WN vs. 3021BPro

exp.

So other folks don't have to look for specs, here they are for each set of legs (not including 3030 head).

3221WN: black matte finish, spiked feet, padded leg cushions, max height 54.3" (73.3" with center column extended), folded length 25.3", max load 13.2 lb, weight 6.2 lb.

3021PRO: aluminum finish, no spikes, max height 53" (69" with center column extended), folded length 25.5", max load 13.2 lb, weight 5.3 lb.

Both of these tripods come with a "low angle adapter," basically a small plate with a screw that mounts directly to the tripod legs (no movements, like a tripod head, but it does let you mount the camera about 4-6" lower than if you used a head).

The main advantage the 3021PRO has over the 3221WN is the ability to remove the center column and use it as a "boom", mounting it sideways on the legs. This is really handy to have, even if you don't use it a lot. The 3221WN, on the other hand, includes spikes and leg cushions, two things that are nice to have included.

Bottom line, I bought the plain jane 3021 legs six years ago, upgraded to the 3021PRO legs three years ago, then bought 3021PRO legs again after my last tripod was stolen. I don't need the black finish or padded cushions (I use pipe insulation anyway), and I don't think I've needed spiked feet yet. But, man, when you need that boom arm to shoot away from the tripod legs (good for macro, or for shooting in tight spots), it is really handy.

<i> Both of these tripods come with a "low angle adapter," basically a small plate with

a screw that mounts directly to the tripod legs (no movements, like a tripod head, but

it does let you mount the camera about 4-6" lower than if you used a head).</i><p>

I think the point of this adapter is to mount the head to the legs without the center

post installed. This allows one to spread the legs very wide and get the tripod head

down to ground level. Removing the center post also saves a little weight and

eliminates the vibration of the center post if you don't need it. At least this is the way

I use it. The thread of this adapter looks too big to mount the camera directly to

it.<p>

I have the 3221wn and find the spikes come in handy. If you shoot macro work, you'll

like the pro model better I suspect.

"yeah but how sturdy is that boom in the horizontal position away from the center of the tripod?"

Not too bad really. My wife has a 3001 Pro, and it works well. Of course if you put a heavy camera on the boom and extend it all the way, you're going to have some flex or wobble if it doesn't just tip over, but used wisely it's a nice feature, and of course you don't have to use it most of the time. I believe leg spikes are available from Manfrotto/Bogen as an option, so I'd go for the Pro and then if you really regret not having spikes, retrofit them.

The new 3021BPro comes with leg warmers on two legs, and the center column has two pieces. That way if you don't want to place the column horizontally, you can simply unscrew most of it and leave the rest in place. That sounds like a nice time/hassle saver to me. If the spikes are a real pull for you, you can purchase them separately. I purchased the 3021BPro (without the newest upgrades mentioned above) about two years ago, and I have no regrets! I'm thinking about picking up the two-piece column, though.

Good luck with your decision...

The boom arm is sturdy enough that I've not seen any image degradation while shooting with about a 5-pound load: Minolta X-570 with winder and 58mm lens. In windy conditions, I imagine it would be as sturdy as a vertically extended center column -- not especially, but not entirely shaky, either. It's a nice extra option to have, but not necessarily one you'd miss, either.