Avenger, Matthews and Red Wing stands

rj__

I'd appreciate comments fron anyone who has used both Avenger and

Matthews stands about whether there is any difference between them in

terms of quality. Also, has anyone used Red Wing stands or booms

and, if so, what are your impressions?

Thanks.

<i>So you have to ask yourself, do you want a Harley or a BMW..... form or function ?</i> Brooks, that's a brave comment...<p>

RJ, no personal experience of Avenger or Matthews, but I can recommmend the Red Wing Parrellegram boom arm, which maintains the angle as the boom is moved. It's great.

Garry,

As you know, you don't spend 20 years as a commercial photographer without learning a little something about courage. #8^)

RJ,

Seriously I just spent time this past Saturday looking at both Avenger and Matthews light stands. They're both nice. The Matthews stands tighten with their oversized knobs better than the Avengers do. Matthews grip heads also seem to grab better.

Neither the Avengers or the Matthews stands are very portable because of the design of their removable legs. They don't fold down to as small a package as a conventional light stand.

This Saturday I ended up buying two 40" Matthews stands with 20" grip arms, an additional 40" grip arm and a couple of flags. Had to take the car 'cause they're too big to carry on the bike!

Garry, thanks for the comment about Red Wing. I'll check out their booms tomorrow.

Brooks,

I prefer bikes to cars. I suspect that you do too. But when you've just paid out a whole lot of cash for a couple of lights, stability is very much on one's mind. These lights are going on a turtle base and riser, both of decent proportions, weight be damned, including the weight of the sandbags that are going to go on the base. The lights weigh less than two pounds each, which to my mind actually makes it more likely that they will be knocked over if mounted on a light-weight stand. If that happens, I'm going to cry, and I'd just as soon not :)