Stupid experience with a Leica

fredus

I was 16 years old, and on my first big trip away from home. A whirlwind 14 day drive with just my best friend and my new Leica through our western states and Canada, (If It's Tuesday This Must Be Idaho). Money saved from clerking in a Camera Store for two years after school and weekends. Perfect weather. Yellowstone Park. The Grand Tetons. Glacier Park. Lake Louise. Click, click, click all on 36 exposure Kodachrome, plus sneaking in a couple of extra frames at the start and end of the roll. And then...somewhere in the mountains of Montana...39, 40, the frame counter was back to one! Aggheeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! That's when I learned that 1)Loading bottom-feeding Leicas suck, and 2) for over 50 years I've never failed to keep my eye on the rewind knob when advancing film. Because Kodachrome was so expensive (you had to pay for processing when you bought the film) the rest of that trip was shot on Ansco Color which has long ago faded into eternity. Now I have nothing left but my jewels and my memories.

Quickly unloading a roll of 120 in the front row of a crowded concert and, while pulling the leader taught, had it slip out of my hands so all 3 glorious feet of backing went dangling to the floor. Photographer friend standing behind me gently tapped me on the shoulder and gave me a rather intimidating smirk. Ah well, reshoot!

I also just tried neopan 400 for the first time this past weekend, awesome film! I was using it in a old 120 folding camera which usually didn't give me the most contrasty of negatives, so I agitated it a little extra in developing. Definetly didn't need the extra agitation!

This is from the "When will you ever learn department?"

How many times have I been using my M3 body and on coming to the end of the roll, wound and wound and wound and wound and wound and wound and wound and wound and wound and wound - well you get the message - until I feel a slight edge of extra resistance and think "Finally finished, that took forever." I then whip off the base plate only to find that I have not completely finished rewinding. Bugger - another half a dozen shots ruined . (Always the best ones too.)