Tripod / Head recommendations for a Linhof Technika?

jmw__

I'm very lucky to have coming to me on extended loan a Linhof Master Technika.

Unfortunately, I don't have a tripod or head to go along with it.

I've been thinking of purchasing a Bogen/Manfrotto 410 "Junior" head and a Gitzo 1228

tripod, but I'm hoping others can contribute to the purchase with a recommendation or

two.

I thought about ball heads, but I don't like how the camera swings around multiple axes.

The Gitzo 1228, I fear, might not be enough tripod for this weight, but I'm hoping that

since I'm buying a new tripod anyway, I should get something that I can also use on my

35mm SLR (Nikon) and MF (Rolleiflex) gear without it be too much of an overkill.

I'm open to suggestions for non-Gitzo brands, too. (I actually favor the Bogen style leg

locks.) Thanks--

I use a Gitzo 1548 with a Gitzo fluid head and this arrangement works quite well. I also have a used Linhof Heavy Duty tripod with a fluid pan head but it weights 30 lbs! Solid as a rock but will be reserved for my 8x10 camera (when I get one!).

I've managed to collect a huge number of tripods over the years (most of which should probably be thrown away or at least buried). I'd recommend the SLIK Pro700 as the best combination of size, features, and price. It weighs almost exactly the same as your Technika, has flip-locks for the legs, and a quick-release head.

You'll get all sorts of different suggestions here. Since you say you prefer the Bogen style leg locks, I used the Bogen 3221 tripod with a Techhika V and several different heads including an Arca Swiss B1 ball head and a Bogen 3047 pan/tilt head. I didn't care for the ball head with the Technika for the reason you've already figured out. The 3221 is on the light side but I've never been a believer in the theory that a heavy camera requires a heavy tripod, as far as I'm concerned if the tripod doesn't collapse under the weight of the camera it's fine.

I presently use a Gitzo 1325 carbon fiber tripod with my Master Technika. I've used two heads with it, the 3047 and, when I because frustrated with an inability to make very fine adjustments when doing architectural photography, I replaced it with the Bogen 410 geared head which I like o.k. I have yet to find the perfect head, I've probably used seven or eight different ones with everything from 35mm to 8x10.

You need to be careful in following head recommendations from people who don't use a Technika camera. When buying a head for a Techhika it's important (at least it was to me) to be sure that you can rotate the back and drop the bed with the camera on the tripod. The camera doesn't sit high enough on some heads to allow the back to fully rotate (i.e. the back bumps into something on the head when you try to rotate it). Others do that o.k. but have a knob or some other part protruding from the front of the head that prevents the bed from dropping (you need to be able to drop the bed when using a 90mm or shorter lens with the Technika). Still others will work but require a certain amount of fiddling around and/or will only work in one position that you don't care for. For example, with my 410 most positions would place the controls on the left and I'm right handed so I have to mount the quick release plate in a way I don't care for and do a couple other things in order to have the controls on the right and also be able to rotate the back and drop the bed (I'm sure this isn't very clear but it doesn't matter unless you are really interested in the 410).

Brian, I get what your saying with the 410. I've rented it with a Mamiya RZ, and that camera

doesn't clear the head, either-- you have to release the camera each time you want to

change the orientation of the back. Hadn't thought of that.

No one's mentioned the 3443 Bogen-- their carbon fiber model. It's a couple of inches

shorter than even the 3021, and a good 6 or so inches shorter than the Gitzo 1325,

unfortunately. As far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be a Gitzo equivalent with Bogen

leg locks.

I ve a Linhof Master 2000 and my tripod is the light weight Gitzo carbon G1127. Ball head is also a light weight Velbon magnesum ball head 'PH273' something like that, the largest ball head model i mean. It can lock securely the camera even with the lens fuji tele 400mm on it with different angle.

I have a Gitzo 1227 and a Gitzo 1325. The 1325 is a more recent addition and I pretty much do not use the 1227 anymore - for a small weight increase, the 1325 is much more tripod! I also have a rapid column for the 1325 which lives in a cupboard somewhere. Heads are a very subjective matter. At the moment, I have an Acratech on one and a Gitzo 1377 head (with an arca QR) on the other. Despite many negative comments about the Gitzo, I quite like it. The Acratech is very tough to beat. I've had an Arca Swiss B1, but the Acratech wins on the weight stakes every time for me (it's basically an extra lens in my bag...). I'm convinced ballheads are the way to go, even if they take a little getting used to. Levels on the camera are the key.

For your outfit, I think that the 1228 may be too little on occasion. The 1325 and an acratech head would be a great lightweight solution.

A tripod must be heavy enough to support the head, the camera, the lens and the film back, but also to avoid vibrations.<br>

IMO, before choosing a tripod, you must calculate a "safety margin" between the maximum load capacity of the tripod and the actual weight of the fully equipped camera.<br>

In the maximum load capacity of the tripod, don't forget to add the weight of the head !<p>

I have a Linhof Master Technika. I use a carbon G-1329 tripod (10-12kg laod capacity) with a magnesium low profile rationelle head G1570-M.<br>

I don't like ball heads for heavy cameras as I prefer to adjust each way one after the other, and I am unable to do it accurately with a ball head.<br>

Geared heads (Manfrotto 400 or 405) are interesting and very precise, but IMO too heavy. Why would I use a very expensive carbon tripod to save weight and then use a 2,4 to 2,6kg geared head ?<p>

The G1570M has a very large platform and two 3/8 fixing screws.<br>

Anothyer advantage of this head is that, when tilting the platform, its low profile always keeps the camera over the middle of the tripod and thus very close to the centre of gravity of the tripod .<br>

On the platform, I use two Quickfix II quick release plates : the rear one to hold the camera housing, the front one to hold the drop-bed.<br>

With these two devices, the camera is very easy to install on the tripod and always firmly fixed.<br>

If I have to drop the bed, I place the rear plate (the one screwed on the camera housing) on the front Quickfix device, and I can drop the camera bed.<br>

Changing the camera position on the head is very easy and rapid.<p>

I also have a Manfrotto 075B, (Bogen 3236) but it is too heavy for outdoors photography if I don't have a car.<br>

When I make important and long-lasting photo works, for instance in churches or abbeys, I sometimes use it with a dolly. It is thus easier to move the camera on short distances without efforts.<br>

If I used this tripod more often , I would buy a Manfrotto 400 geared head.<br>

Like many others I have a variety of tripods and heads that I have used with my Master 2000. I would concur that the 1228 is too light for field conditions. You want to have enough leg extension that will work in the field with uneven terrain. A slight wind will upset the 1228. I use the Gitzo 1339 with the G1371 mag. head. I have tried the G1171 and it cannot hold the Master 2000 at an angle with the bellows extended (200 mm or 300 mm lens). This is why the ratings on the head are important! If price is an issue then I highly recommend getting a Tiltall - it will easily handle a Technica and comes with the incorporated head. This is my back-up tripod and used it before getting the Gitzo 1339. As for weight, it is about the same if not a little lighter. I know a lot of Technica users that have used this tripod for several decades. I bought mine used for $80 a few years back!

Regards,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

One reason to save weight by using a carbon tripod might be so you can carry a good head. I like ball heads for some things, but precision is not one of them. Using a ballhead with a 4x5 is like adding about 12 more movements to your camera, all of which must be zeroed before you can concentrate on the camera. Besides, most decent ballheads weigh as much as a 405 anyway, so what's the big deal?

I have both the Bogen/Manfrotto 405 and 410 heads, and if they help me to get a precise image with no camera movement (which they do), I don't care how much they weigh.

I have both because I got the 410 as an overall solution before the 405 was available. It is more than adequate for everything from 35mm to 4x5, including monorails. I still use it for my 4x5 and panoramic (6x12) stuff. The Nikkor 80-200 with my D100 doesn't quite work right with this head, as it gets in the way of the body unless you turn the head around backwards. The 405 was engineered to take care of this problem (probably all DSLR's w/ long lenses and battery packs had this problem) by adding more clearance at the back of the head. It also has larger controls, making it easier to work with.

I wouldn't trade either of these heads for anything else (unless it was to get a second 405).

Try any tripod/head combination with your camera before you buy it to make sure that everything works to your liking. In the end, it's your preference rather than anyone else's that counts. It's just like cameras. No one solution is going to be right for everyone.

Good luck with your decision.