Supply of 20d

I have been watching UK retailers advertisements for EOS 20d stocks.

It appears to me that there has only been an initial shipment, there

may be a few about left from then, but generally EVERYONE is waiting

for stock.

Could this be because of the lockup issue or the grip issue?

Has this kind of thing happened before? Could anyone advise, I'm

planning to get one in early January, should I order now? I was

planning to order in early December, but the lack of stock is making

me nervous. Obviously if I order now, then it comes before

Christmas, then my children will be dissapointed come Christmas

day ;)

I have a wedding booked (I don't do many nowadays) for the end of

February and I was planning to use the 20d with my 300d as 2nd

body / backup. Obviously this means I need a month (or longer) for

field testing, so January is it.

I don't really know much about the UK or 20D supplies, but with the intial release of the drebel in the US last year it was sold out very quickly, and pretty much unavailable for the six weeks before christmas. Stocks only became readily available again in mid to late January. So at least here it appears that Canon ships in a lumpy fashion, rather than a steady stream.

I think there are a couple of factors that amy be influencing the situation. Firstly, there is almost certainly a delay in supply while new cameras have the latest firmware installed prior to shipment. Secondly, Canon's pricing appears to be less discrimatory than for previous cameras, so there is little or no advantage to importing from elsewhere (except possibly from Germany, provided you are prepared to deal in that languange). The consequence is higher apparent demand and much less parallel importing. Canon may have underestimated true demand, since for the 10D and 300D it was always clearly cheaper to buy from the US and pay VAT and extra shipping charges, even with the potential warranty disadvantages of shipping back to the US for service.

Supply appears to be catching up to demand in Canada for a bit at least. I got one with the first shipment, and had put in my name for notification of availability beforehand. I just received such notification. Of course the stores had received and sold many shipments in the meanwhile; it seems that they may have at least temporarily exhausted the pre-orders at this time/place.

Phil,

My local dealer in Preston has the 20D in the kit form available, but not body only. He's hopeful, but not sure, that there may be some in a delivery due this week.

Canon seem to be pushing the kits, seemingly not twigging that there are a lot of 10D owners with a bagful of lenses waiting to upgrade.

Similar in the Netherlands: there was a batch of them at premium prices (mostly only with the kit lenses), now there is almost none in stock anywhere. Again except some at premium prices and with the kit lens only. Wonder how much Canon makes on a 100 Euro kit lens....

Eagerly waiting for my 20D body only...