Is Crown Graphic 4x5 more like...

danny_liao

How do the Crown Graphic 4x5 perform? Are they compareable to a, lets say, a

Horseman VH/45FA or more of a Toyo 45CF? I find the Horseman awesome to use

and the Toyo cheap and flimsy. I have a chance to pick up a fairly good condition

Crown Graphic for a very good price, but I don't want it if it's doesn't perform wel.

Can anyone with experience with these cameras give me some insight?

Also, does anyone know if the old Horseman 980 could fit a 4x5 back?

Thanks

If there was ever a bulletproof camera, it is the 4x5 Crown Graphic. Over fifty years of experience in building and using Speed Graphic cameras went into it's design and construction. But don't forget that most have already been in use for 50 years, and that it was intended as a Press Camera. A Master Technika it ain't (nor was it ever intended as such).

Dear Danny,

I use a Crown Graphic, but most of the time just the way it was intended. Hand held using the rangefinder. I have several graphmatic holders and it makes a nice "walking around" camera.

The movements are extremely limited. I have used a 300mm lens on it, but not closer than about 10 feet.

If you are looking for a true view-camera, this is not the answer. If you want a large negative in a rugged, easy to use package, you will enjoy it. Make sure the rangefinder is in good working order and that the correct cam is installed for the lens. Check out www.graflex.org for information.

Neal Wydra

You can use other than 127 and 90, but those were most common in my limited experience. The bellows are short for longer glass limiting close focus. 65`s have limited coverage for 4x5, as do 90 Wallys and 90 Angulon. The color saruration of these is also low, but they are ok for B&W.

When you are done, it is a rangefinder box with a few features.Again a pretty good newsphotog camera for the age, but fine art it is not.

It you like longer glass, the FA has somewhat short bellows, but there is a back extension. To me this is a pain to deal with.

I am looking for a 4x5 to do strickly environmental/location portraits and head to full

length portraits. I don't really need all the bells and whistles. The Crown Graphic

should do fine, right? Also, how well does the 135 Xenar perform, color

satuation, contrast, sharpness...etc?

The 135 Xenar is an excellent lens, with high contrast and sharpness. It does not have great covering power so its use for architecture is quite limited. Do you realize that the Crown has a fixed HORIZONTAL back? Vertical hand-held pictures are easy, but somewhat inconvenient on a tripod.

How about a Crown Super Graphic compare to a Linhof Technika III? I know

that the Linhof is a better camera but accessories are limited and hard to find.

I have the chance of picking up a brand NEW Crown Super Graphic w/lens or

a used Linhof III w/lens in excellent condition. Crown Graphic will be around

$350 and Linhof for about $700. Which one will you choose? And why?

the crown needs a 135 , 127 lense to fold in the camera, others above and below that i know of need to be taken out to fold becdouse the lens is too big. .. the biggest problem i see with your idea is that you want to use a 135 for portraits.. this to some has the wrong look for portraits,, the other photographers here can explain it but it deepens the face not compress it, not giving the best glamor.. for instance a 70 mm lens is good for the 35mm camera for portraits.... the best lens in my thinking would be the 210 for portrait.. then your depth of field is limited.. that is on a uper torso shot if you focus on the eyes the nose will be ok, but the ears are getting out of focus unless you use a lot of light. a group of poeple is very very difficult with the 210. . making it nessesary to use side lights, background and backlit lights for high end (quality)shots.. my opinoion only . but when you get that good shot its good for 30x40 prints.. this is why 6x6 and 6x7 is poplular for poeple shots. good to 16x20. .altho i know lots who have done it, and ive taken some stuning crown graphic shots with 135 of my youngest son (hes the only one that would have mercy on me and stand still for it.. .. allmost all the problems can be overcome with experience and study.. but some wont be easy. you can get a 6x7 back and shoot great portraits with the 135, and then use the 4x5 for some others,, and landscape and etc.. get one youl be very pleased.. good luck dave..

Danny, if you can get a mint/new one for $350 , seems like a good deal. I was tracking a mint one at ebay, that just went for over $800, which wasn't inline with other mintish prices of previously sold cameras. I have a hard time with not being able to rotate the back, so i bailed at less than $200! This one did look nice, see link below, but at $821 my 15 year old Tachihara is looking better and better

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3846308272&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

I reckon the main thing you need to work out is whether you want/need movements because you are only limited to front rise on a Crown Graphic. That said, if you don't need those movements a Crown Graphic with a Kalart rangefinder is an amazing camera, and incredibly well made. I use mine with a 127mm and 90mm lens and a 6x12 back. I hear 65mm lenses work well on this camera too and will try it out one day.