Kodak 400 Portra VC/NC pushable?

Hi all,

I just wanted to ask how pushable is the kodak Portra 400 line of film?

I want to shoot a kids singing contest with kodak portra 400 but i might need to push it to

800 as i don't want to use flash...

thanks all for viewing and replying

Cheers,

Berry

I have not used the Portra 800, but I have been very pleased with the NPZ - especialy its results under mixed lighting. An auditorium might have stage lights that are tungsten, house lights that are fluorescent (or even mercury vapor), mixed color foot lights. The Fuji "4th layer" seems to handle all these amazingly well.

Let me be the third to recommend NPZ, which is IMHO, far and away the best 800 film out there. Talk about pushability--I have shot a lot of boxing on it (bad combination: poor lighting in the clubs I shoot in, and fast action), and have pushed it to 1600 regularly.

And unless you're taking your film to a pro lab with dip-n-dunk, and paying extra, they're probably not actually pushing your film in processing anyway.

Grab some NPZ (it's no more expensive than Portra is it? haven't priced Portra lately) and try it out.

Kodak has recently updated Portra 800. I have not yet tried

the new emulsion, but in his Sep/Oct 2004 review in Photo Techniques

magazine, Ctein says that Portra 800 now pushes better than NPZ.

He likes NPZ better at box rating, but says NPZ shows more added

grain, garish colors, and color crossover at 50% extra time (push2).

Hi all,

thanks for all the replies so far. Yea I'm not sur what the lighting will be as their isn't a

rehearsal that I can sit in at. But I do really want to do a good job as their might be some

money in it later (i'm shooting them for my uncles kids and if they turn out good hopefully

other kids parents will want me to shoot their kids and pay too! :D

I did see the portra new 800 UC at the store but wasn't sure what it was.....so half of the

people say npz and the other half say portra 800 hmm i might get a couple rolls of each

and shoot both to see whas the diff...

Thanks for all the replies and advice please keep them coming :D

Cheers,

Berry