glass wall at the back of the sacturary. It's basiclly another room

that has windows facing out. I shot a test roll the night before and

discovered these windows.

Usually, they have the blings pulled closed so the day of the wedding

I opened the blinds and turned on the lights ... this helped, but as

you can see in the picture it didn't cure it. How do you guys handle

this type of situation?

Thanks!<div>009BTt-19211484.jpg.068d99f16ec939b7281de644f7f55b69.jpg</div>

You can Photoshop (edit) out the glaring flash spot.

Or find a flash system that will cut off at the subject and not the back wall of the church. (i.e., some Nikon speedlights, with the flash head tilted up can handle a bride in a mirror, with not tell-tale 'blast of flash' in the image. But a dead on shot in a mirror or window is tough.)

I dunno, Gerald, once you let those photons out of the barn they just start ricochetin' all over the place.

Jason: It looks as if you didn't have an option to stand somewhere that gave you more of an angle to the glass. So you were stuck with a direct reflection off that back wall. For now, you're looking at Photoshop time to make the reflected flash go away.

Walls of glass behind your subject make flash use dicey.

Be well,

In this situation I think I would have left the blinds closed as there is absolutely

nothing interesting behind them.

The ceiling looks quite low so why not bounce the flash for a much nicer

effect.

I hope this isn't a final (paid for) wedding shot, it's aweful.

Sorry if that comes across a bit harsh but really you need to engage your

brain.

Firstly why is there another photographer in the shot. If you are being paid to

take the images then take control and move those people who are going to

ruin the record of the day out of the shot.

Secondly learn to use DOF to throw unwanted and distracting elements out of

focus.

Thirdly I am not sure what is going on with the exposure but the brides dress

just looks like a sheet of white plastic while the detail has also been lost in the

grooms dark suit. Looking at the image it looks like it was taken digitally and

very badly converted to black and white in photoshop.

Lastly the framing is awful the groom looks drunk and about to fall over.

I think you really need to learn you craft before you start charging for your

services.

All the mistakes here are very basic and leave the couple with an image that

is no more than a bad snap.

Sorry to be so mean but hopefully you will take on board these comments and

take time out to learn the basics before you end up in a situation where a less

than happy couple is suing you for ruining their special day.

C.

Jason a couple more thoughts. You see that guy on the right side of the frame in your picture? I think HE is getting a shot at enough of an angle to the glass that he won't have the reflect-o-blast in his image.

Also consider using height to your advantage, as in off-camera flash on a stand of some kind (or even held way up high in your left hand) aimed down at the aisle.

When the flash is aligned so closely with your lens (in the hot shoe or on a bracket) those reflective surfaces in the background become your enemy.

For the light that passes beyond your subject, you need a way to have it not come back to haunt you. Change that angle somehow. Be creative, even desperately creative.

I offer these thoughts as encouragement, not as chastisement. There will be more glass in backgrounds in your future. You'll find ways to make it less of a problem.

Be well,

Before you even pick up your camera you have to survey the room for potential background problems. You're looking for distracting objects and reflective surfaces. Once you identify the problems you have to figure out solutions. The generic solutions are to position yourself so you don't get the problems in the frame, shoot from a position so the subject is between you and the problem, and for reflections - position the light so it doesn't reflect back to you. You can do a rough reflection check by looking where you'll be shooting and poping the flash.

You could have gotten a decent shot in this setting by kneeling down in the middle of the asile and shooting straight on, cropped tight at waist level. The couple would have blocked the light from ever hitting the glass and causing a reflection. You also have to shoot when they are in a position that keeps that clock out of the frame.

One last thing; when you have to be in the right place to get a shot, go there! You can't have the video guy, or someone else blocking your shot. Even without the reflection, you don't have a useable shot because of the that guy's elbow.

While it may not be the cover photo for Martha Stewart, I don't think the image is as bad as it's been made out. You could probably pick up details/shadows/contrast, fuzz out the background in PS. As Brandon has shown, PS cures those hot spots quite nicely. I'm also of the belief that catching the shot is better than not catching one at all. And if I'm not mistaken that looks like the father of the bride walking the bride TO the altar...

There's been some good advice otherwise in this thread. Bounce if the ceiling is low enough and white, crop closer, use a shallower depth of field or lens with narrower angle of view, shoot high speed BW film if that's an option. As I don't usually use a big light setup at the church, I also often find getting "wonderful" processional/recessional shots challenging - especially with direct flash. I mostly focus on the expressions of the people. That elbow in the way is unfortunate, but sometimes these things happen and you don't have the chance to politely ask/shove the guest out of the way. I ask the couple/pastor/priest beforehand if they're okay with me moving about during the ceremony, and if they are, I'll "subtly" move up closer to the subject and move with them as they walk.

Positioning. You were off to the side, so the flash reflected off the glass. If you were

directly in front of them, they would block any reflection. If you were in front of them the

guy wouldn't have blocked your shot. Just step out, take your shot and step back.

when I see glass in the photo, I try to get another angle so the light will reflect sidways instead of back into the camera. If I can't move to another location, I kneel down to a low angle and the glass highlight reflection is covered by the people. It works! Be careful though, I now have to have my knee replaced.