Minolta model F (1950s)

Anyone has experience using one of these?

I got one with a clear rokkor normal lens, but the speeds are slow.

Bellow 1/4 sec the curtain moves 1/4th, stops, then finishes. All

speeds above 1/30 do not seem much faster than 1/30th...

Is this an easy to restore camera? Is it worth restoring? Any commends

on this model will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance

<p>

Please see my page on Minolta Rangefinders by clicking <a href="http://members.aol.com/dcolucci/minolta.htm">HERE....</a><p>

These cameras have poor shutters due to the poor (cheap ) curtain deisgn..the lens is a good one ( 5 element Heliar deisgn ) and usually sells for high prices for those Leica screw mount lovers....Dan

<p>

I dunno anyone who works on these but I know in one of Thomas Tomosy's camera repair books ( click <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0936262591/antiquclassic-20/103-6928806-7174269?creative=125581&camp=2321&link_code=as1">here..)</a> he describes the repair to a Minolta-35 with photos..I bet any good repair person can do it - its just a matter of how much it will cost...

The early lettered Minolta 35's are worth something, mostly to collectors.

From your description, it sounds like the curtains need to be retensioned. The early lettered Minolta 35's were more handmade than the later model II 35's. On these earlier Minolta 35's the shutter assemblies were basic, simple and primitive, curtain material and coatings were problematic, and the shutter ribbons were fragile. If you can find a REALLY GOOD technician, he will likely just retension the curtain spindles' springs. This tension is controlled by ratcheting 2 toothed wheels, probably handcut, inside the camera's bottom cover. This technician will have to know how much torsion to ratchet in, how much tension to apply to the curtains before the ribbons snap. It's a matter of balancing the tension needed to pull the curtains without pulling apart the curtain assemblies.