Changes to rating queue?

bruno

In the last days all the photos I'm uploading are receiving high

ratings, but not many of them... I mean, in the past I could get 11

ratings with an average of 4. Looks like now 5.5 is not enough to get

11 ratings. Has been any change been implemented or is just a period

of laziness of members? Or are people just tired of my boring b/w

pictures?

Wow, you've really learned something from these thoughtless numbers, Bruno? The sum total of the ratings I've gotten has told me nothing except what would appeal to people who in my estimation don't bother to examine photos before slapping their numbers on them.

If you use the ratings to control what you do with your camera, that's quite sad in my opinion.

well, i agree ratings should not be a guide, but the message here is about diminishing feedback, even if its in numbers, and i am experiencing that as well recently. maybe its me, but i thought this message worth responding to.

Pogue,

if you're in a learning process, then feedback is important. Sometimes I'm sure about my shots, then I ignore completely ratings... but a pat on the shoulder never hurts. Other times I submit photos because I want some feedback on them... maybe there's something that doesn't convince me and I want to see if it's only my impression or not...

You know, I can show photos to friends, and they will say that they're nice because they've never seen b/w before, or because they want to be nice to me...

What I noticed, in the last two months, is less ratings or comments than it was before. I was just puzzled about it.

By the way: I just seen that when a photo gets higher ratings, it gets more views, more people willing to insert you in their "interesting" circle and to give really constructive comments or willing to start interesting discussions... there are some very good photographers on this site who are also nice people giving you the good suggestion at the good time.

Then, of course, I don't delete the picture... but if I think that what they said makes sense, well, next time I'm out there with my camera, I think about it.

Bruno, te lo dico col cuore, fai foto magnifiche e sei un riferimento (anche se non sembra dal mio folder, ci sto lavorando su prima di mostrare qualcosa).

This said the system has many problems. 5.55 gets you nowhere nowadays and frequently many GREAT shots get thrown down the list by low voters or comitees of high voters (that high vote themselves).

Sometimes I even think that someone is having fun with the system in fact you can see all hummingbirds in the first pages, all cows (!!!!) all children portraits (like now) and so on without high quality.

photo.net is very nice but it's degrading and the quality is dropping down tremendously.

Please continue your photography, I learn from you work!!

I would think that we as a photo community would agree that ratings and rating systems are questionable at best. I will say this, regardless of opinion or artistic taste, I see many photos on this site with 4s, 5s and 6s that are of poor quality. This was not the case 3 years ago on this site. Give the world digital and everybody and their brother becomes a "photographer"...

The question is straightforward and valid and deserves an answer, irrespective of the merit

and interpretation of the system:

Has the ratings to queue position changed recently? It used to take a highish rating to stay

in the queue long enough to get beyond 10 or 15. Now there seems to be a new barrier at

5 or 6.