some experience, I'd be willing to tag along for free as a second

shooter. He said he had a wedding tomorrow (today, now) that I could

come to. I had to pass since I couldn't get out of my day job on

such short notice, but he said I could come to the reception this

evening (probably a 2-hour reception). I have all my own equipment

and film, but he might want to give me his film to shoot and return

to him.

What sort of arrangement do you think is reasonable? If I don't get

paid, is it customary for me to use images I take in my portfolio?

Or will he just lump mine together with his own? Will he expect to

sell and pass off prints as his own? It seems to me I should either

get paid to assist, or if I work for free for the experience, I

should at least be able to use them in a portfolio. Or should I just

say thanks but no thanks? As much as I want the experience, if I

don't get paid, it isn't work for hire, and I don't see getting much

out of a 2 hour reception if I work for free, can't sell any of the

results, and can't even control copyright.

I'll iron this out tonight before I shoot, but I'm curious what I

should expect and should ask for when I talk to him tonight.

Thanks for advice, especially if you can give it on such short notice.

I've always let my 2nd shooters keep copies for their portfolios, whether they are paid or not. Mostly what I have to figure out with the second shooter is when and where they will be, whether I will be providing film or not, whether I'll be developing or not, and whether they get a cut of the reprints. I personally don't differentiate between my work and the assistant's work when showing a client, but I don't pass off someone else's work as my own (I only advertise/display with my own images). There may be legal issues you need to work out in the contract as well, whether or not you (as the assistant and not being the official photographer) have the right to display images from someone else's wedding (I write this into my contract now).

You should get copies for your use and he should get copies for his use...no strings

attached either way.

He won't be passing them off as his own...he just says he had a second shooter there to

help him cover the event better.

If you can get him to pay for the film & processing but allow you to copy what you need

then you are winning.

jmp

I have always made an extra high res disc for my assistant to do

whatever they wish with and/or if possible (some) negs. My rule

is that the client doesn't care who took the shot so you put them

all together, but I will never put someone elses image on my

web site or portfolio and claim them as mine.

With the approaching Christmas season -- here's the grinch -- before you worry over using photos from the wedding for your portfolio, you should have a release from the bride-and-groom. They may be very pleased to be part of your portfolio, or they may be 'pi**ed off' that no one told them you were going to use their photos, especially when they hired the 'other' guy in the original agreement.

Better safe than sorry down the road.

MP-

I am a second shooter to several photographers right now. I work for free for most of them because I need the experience, I admire the photographers and I really enjoy myself.

The first thing that I do is check with the photographer to see if it is ok for me to use the photos in my portfolio. If it is ok with the bride and groom and the photographer, I usually provide my own film and keep my negatives. The photographer include my prints with his own and contact me for reprints. I get paid for whatever reprints they choose.

If the photographer prefers that I do not use images in my portfolio, then I will go along, shoot film that he provides me with and return the negatives to him for development. Although I don't get much tangible benefit from this arrangement, I pick up on alot of the nuances that make a talented photographer successful and every wedding boost my confidence in my own proformance.

The photographer includes my work with his own as part of his package. If you're not sure about the character of this guy, work out a contract where you control the rights to your photos to prevent his from advertising your work as his own.

The more experience I get the less I'm willing to do for free and the more selective I am about the events I want to shoot. But the experience I gained from these arrangements has been invaluable. My strongest advice is to get to know who you are shooting for and see if he's someone you want to learn from. Good luck.

-Katie

• 1 year later...

Im a second shooter on a wedding for 5 years now. You just have to ask a copy of your shots from the main photographer. Of course also inform the couple that you will be using some photos for portfolio purposes. its good to be honest! If they agree then theres no problem at all. Also the main photog will pretty much sure gives your shots because its your style and work of art.

This maybe late but it can give ideas for the beginners.

For 2nd shooter in weddings just email me at www.claro_weddingsforever@yahoo.com