Canon camera stores in New York.

gareth_harper

I'm taking my first trip to the good old US of A.

I'll be in New York for a few days and had hoped to pick up a new

24mmf1.4L. I checked B&H and the price seemed fine. Then I checked

the opening hours, they are shut from the 30th Sept to the 9th of

october, for Sukkos apparently!

So then I checked the other big New York store, Adorama, couldn't

find opening hours on their web site, so I phoned them, they too are

shut for Sukkos! What's that all about?

Anyway are there any other good non-Jewish camera shops that will

hold a 24mmf1.4 in stock at a good price that will be open on the 4th

of october?

Cheers lads,

I did a little hunting around and came up with 17th street photo.

What do you think, they OK? Good price, cheaper than B&H and Adorama (well only by a few dollars) and it's in stock. Gave them a bell and they wull be open on the 4th.

I fly in on the 26th Sept so I could buy from B&H or Adorama but I don't like travelling with expensive kit, particulary brand new stuff.

I'm taking my EOS33, with a EF28 f2.8 and 50mm f1.8.

Anyway I'm gonna look around New York (a daunting prospect for me) and maybe head up to Buffalo for a few days.

Fingers crossed the weather is nice.

>Cheers lads, I did a little hunting around and came up with 17th street photo.

Hi Gareth, There are many photo dealers in and around New York that you should be afraid of - very afraid. I'm not 100 percent sure about 17th St., but check 'em out thoroughly. Usually if a place is cheaper than B&H and Adorama, then it's because they'll rip you off . . . In a New York minute! ;-) Cheers to you!

Man, when I lived in New York, I used to hit them all - J&R&B&H&ET&AL is what my friend

called them. In my humble opinion, B&H is the only place to go. 17th is a little iffy and I

always

found the staff to be slightly rude. Not that B&H is the rebirth of the Welcome Wagon, but

as they

say, you get what you pay for. I have never once walked out of B&H feeling like I could

have

done any better anywhere else. I've decided that I will never shop anywhere else and as a

result have just learned to deal with their holiday closures. If you can get yourself to feel

comfortable hanging on

to your new kit, I'd definitely just go there early and forget about it (fuggedahboudit?). I'll

be

flying in on the Sept. 23rd and stop number one on the 24th will be a certain big building

with green awnings near Penn Station. I've told my wife to deal with it... I'll have my own

Festival of Joy a few days early.

<p>B&H and Adorama are both run primarily by Orthodox and Hassidic Jews -- on Fridays

the store closes by sundown and during certain periods of the year both shops shut down

for religious observances. Slightly eccentric (to my rather un-religious mind) opening

hours are more than made up for by the prices on offer and the generally high level of

knowledge that the salespeople have. Also, I've found B&H's used equipment to be exactly

what they claim it to be when sold.</p>

<p>A friend who would work the shows for a <insert camera manufacturer here> told

me how much the manufacturers dislike B&H because they move so much of the

merchandise bought in the US that they can pretty much dictate the price they're willing to

pay (wholesale, obviously).</p>

<p>A woman I was speaking to at a party here in London recommended Tamarkin for

used equipment in NYC -- you can find them here: <a href="http://

www.tamarkin.com/">www.tamarkin.com</a>. They seem to cover mainly Leica and

Nikon and not much in the way of Canon gear.</p>

<p>Regardless, to this day I don't know if you <i>have</i> to be from a conservative

branch of Judaism to work at these shops, but it certainly appears to help.</p>

Thanks again lads.

Found the shop reveiw section and they seem OK. It's just until yesterday I only knew of B&H and Adorama, most folks seem OK with them so I thought that'll do me, until I checked their opening hours.

I'll probably pop into 17th the first day I'm there and maybe bag a 35mmf2 which is fairly cheap and I'm told sharp. While I'm there I'll see if I can reserve the 24mmf1.8 which is going to replace my 24mmf2.8, I'm hoping the 24L will be much sharper than the soft f2.8

Is there a way of dodging the tax on the 24L considering it is for export?