Minolta CLE-a few beginer questions

peter_kim2

Hope this is the appropriate forum, I figured Leica people would

know more about this camera that the Minotla thread people. I had a

couple questions about the Minolta CLE which I am very interested in

seeing if I can find used since I cant yet afford to buy a M6 which

I really would like.

Firstly can it use a commonly available battery? I hope its not

mercury. I read on Steve Gandy;s site that it uses a D76 battery.

Never heard of this one. The only D76 I know is the devloper!

Secondly how is the shutter sound? Is it much louder than a

comparable Leica? Im sure it must be much quieter than my Canon A-1

maybe its quieter than my EOS Elan 7?

Lastly, how much is the going price nowadays for the body or the

body with the 40mm rokkor? Assuming I can find one that is!

Thank you!

Re prices, you might want to look at <a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/

eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=26847&item=3840342800&rd=1">this

one</a><p> Or even <a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/

eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=26847&item=3839662744&rd=1">this

one</a> <p>

Getting one complete with a lens seems to be the cheaper way. THey seem to

go for quite a lot more than the CL... I've been thinking of buying one, but at

second hand prices the Hexar RF seems to represent better value, although

of course it's not as beautifully compact.

The battery is available almost anywhere it is a three volt, the shutter is very quiet not as quiet as some M's but vastly queiter than a canon. It is a nice camera the only detraction is that it will not take all the M mount lenses and in manual there is no metering not a big deal most of the time . I mostly used the one I have for candids with the excellent 40mm lens and AE. I do not really use the one I have anymore as I now favor my M5 if you are intersted let me know I am willing to sell. Cheers George

My CLE is my favorite camera right now. It is definitely quieter than the Canon A-1 (especially if your A1 has shutter squeak!) because of the lack of mirror slap. It is not silent by any means, though, but the sound is low pitched (compared to, say, a Canonet) and doesn't draw much attention at all. It is definitely not a mercury battery, and as mentioned they are found everywhere for real cheap. They also seem to last forever. The 40 Rokkor is a great match with the camera as it has 40mm framelines for it. You might also want to keep an eye out for the new CV 40/1.4 just announced if you are looking for lower light than f 2. Not sure if the baselength of the CLE will handle the 1.4 aperture, but with a 40 it might be OK. If you really want to use very fast lenses then this isn't the right body for you. Anyway the old 40 Rokkor is a fantastic lens. I also use the VC 28/3.5 with this body and it makes for a great walk around kit. By its specs the CLE is obviously a little smaller and lighter than a Leica M, but in real life it feels like a much bigger difference than the statistics would show. The CLE is marvelously compact and light weight so that I never have second thoughts about taking it with me. It does seems that you can get a better deal by buying both body and lens together these days, but of course that's just a generalization. I got my CLE (in very nice clean condition), 40 Rokkor, and the 28/3.5 from one buyer on ebay for $850 about 5 months ago. I also got it CLA'd, though, so it cost a bit more in the long run. KEH is a good benchmark to use for prices. They have one in excellent condition (which really means excellent condition!) for $546. You can often get the same thing for less from ebay or private sellers, but some people like the peace of mind from buying from a company with a good reputation and a return policy. If you can get one on this forum that also seems to work out great most of the time. The 40 Rokkor goes for $250-300, and the Leica CL "equivalent" for $300+.

"The battery is available almost anywhere it is a three volt, the shutter is very quiet not as quiet as some M's "

Sorry it takes 2 X MS76 batteries that are 1.5 volt each. The same that went into every Nikon FE/FM/FE2/FM2/FA/F3. But unlike the Nikons due to its battery layout you cannot fit the 3volt DL1/3N Battery which is virturally two MS76 batteries in one. But the batteies last for ages in a CLE, at least 4 times longer than M7 batteries.

Some say its not as quite as an M and the M7 is a bit quieter than it. With mechanical M's the faster speeds are slightly quieter but at slower speads the CLE is quieter so it evens out.

George also mentions that the CLE doesnt take all M lenses, which is true, it doesnt take some of the early wides like the 21's and 28's that have a very deep rear element but then again neither does his M5.

The CLE is a great compact M mount camera which will serve you will and the 40mm f2 lens that comes with it is great. I and some other forum members now use this as our primary camera because its more compact and light.

I have two of them. One is getting long in the tooth. Sometimes have to slap it to get the meter going right.

CLEs won't take the old pre-apherical Summilux 35/1.4.

Build quality is excellent--better than the Hexar RF.

Repair: Shares hardware with old Minolta SLRs. Check Gandy on that one.

The CLE is light and compact. There is no other camera quite like it.

The metering is center-weighted. Watch out for wide expanses of sky, especially when using a 28. You can easily end up with underexposure, if you let the sky fool the auto exposure into using too fast a shutter. A + 1 or 1 1/2 stop exposure compensation is usually all that is necessary. One of the best features of the CLE is the 28 frame lines visible to eyeglass wearers. The C-V 28 f3.5 would be a great choice of a 28.

The viewfinder of the CLE is bright and clear. Very comfortable with the 28mm frameline. Dislike is it requires batteries to operate.

The rokkor lense are excellent. I find it better than the summicron build for the Leica CL. Furthermore the rokkor 28mm/2.8 is extremely compact and small. Hope this helps.