crossprocessing

I run a Walgreens one hour photo lab. I know almost nothing about

photo processing, other than how to work the machine. One of the

other employees took a customer's slide film and processed it in our

C-41 chemicals. I am in the process of trying to adjust the color

so that the prints come out looking at least halfway decent, but I

am not very sucessful. The prints are coming out very dark and

green, but adding magenta and removing some density is not working.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I use Kodak's Gretag Masterflex

processor if that helps....

don't worry about the color shifts. It'll take a lot of color adjustments typically digitally or in hand-prints (RA-4). Lots of people that cross-process want the color shifts. I'd print without color correcting if I were you...that would give the person the best idea of what the effect was on their film.

Josh

Hi,

Way back when I worked in a minilab, we would take an unexposed, developed strip of C-41 film and sandwich it with the cross processed or black & white film to get some kind of "neutral" color balance. I would contact the customer first and make sure they knew it was slide film....they may want the creative look of cross processed color.

The customer did know it was slide film. She originally wanted color slides, and color prints without the green cast. She is asking me to color correct her prints. It was not purposely crossprocessed, it was the fault of the employee who took in the film for not checking if it was C-41

What type (brand, type) of film is it? The cross-processed film I have does indeed get a slight green cast with some scanning software, but can easily be removed. It sounds as if you're printing optically (not digitally) and although I don't do RA-4 prints myself, the cross-processed film has a significantly lower base density than C41 film and no orange mask. Printing times should be shorter (and you said the prints are coming otu dark), so you either want a shorter exposure or more density in front of the light source (if I got you right.)

<p>Check out <a href="http://www.photo.net/learn/color_myths.html#13">this info</a>