similar camera on the web, I've searched and the photos of the Busch

Pressman in this size all have an attached rangefinder, this camera

has never had one, not even any place to attach one. and 2. The

shutter assembly and lens have no designation or missing identifying

plaque other than f 6.3 Anastigmat 4 1/2" E.F.L. and speeds of T, B,

10, 25, 50, 100, 200. Apertures are 6, 8, 11, 16, 22 32. Other than

these markings nothing at all. I'm familiar with my Graflex

Anniversary Graphic, but this camera is half the size and looks even

older. I've searched the archives about using a roll film back etc.

but still find nothing to indicate the model, shutter/lens combo or

how any RF was ever attached. Any ideas or am I simply overlooking

something obvious? I appreciate any help you might be able to offer,

but lack any digital photos just yet. Thank you, Curt in Canada.

cool camera, those were nice. rangefinders on press cameras in those days were an extra-cost option; most cameras had them, and most ads would include them in the illustrations, but the cameras could be bought without them. I have an ad in a 1948 Pop Photo showing the Pressman D 4x5 with combined range/viewfinder (apparently standard equipment on this model); the directory listing in the same issue shows that camera and also the 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 Pressman C... the C is illustrated with a side-mounted rangefinder, but the description states "Groundglass and scale focusing", so I believe that in 1948, on the smaller Model C, the rangefinder was optional.

:)=

Good snag, if you're willing to focus on the ground glass.

There were at least two optional rangefinders for the 2x3 Pressman but optional's the word; it was possible to get the camera without. Your best bet is to look for an unmounted Kalart and pray that it has the right linkage for the Pressman. I've had one with Kalart, have had a Mini Speed with Kalart, have a Century and 2x3 Pacemaker Speed with Kalarts. Each has a somewhat different linkage for telling the RF how far the bed has been moved from the inifinity position.

No idea what the lens is or how good. Best to try it. Count reflections, if there are four strong ones in front of the diaphragm and two strong, one weak behind it the lens is probably a tessar type. If so, likely to be fairly good; f/6.3 tessars typically have more coverage than faster ones.

Sheet film holders? Well, if you want to shoot sheet film, fine.

Film pack adapter. Obsolete, film packs aren't made anymore.

Two options re roll film, one not available to you. The unavailable one is to remove the GG and attach a roll holder permanently. Then you'll have to focus by scale (and you'd better have made one before you take the back off). The available one is to use an Adapt-A-Roll 620 roll holder. These slip in like a sheet film holder, will feed from a 120 spool, must take up on a 620 spool. I use 'em with my Graphics, they work.

For more & better info, ask for advice on the www.graflex.org help board.

Congrats, condolences, good luck,

Dan

Oh, yeah, condolences because it will take more than you've laid out to make the camera very useful.

Curt, I had two 2 1/4x 31/4 Miniature Busch Pressman. It's a very well built camera. Sold first with custom-made roll film adapter and removable ground glass. Both had rangefinder, but purposely took it off second Busch. Gave that one to PN friend last month.

There is a 120 roll film adapter that will work with the set-up you have; believe it's made by Calumet. It's a bit of a kluge and protrudes out to the side, but works. I have also put a Graflox back onto the 2nd Busch which worked out well with R10 Graflex roll film adapter.

Given your initial cost was so low, it's worth an investment IMHO. Use URL below to download a manual for Busch Precision Pressman Model "C" 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 for free.

http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/manuals/pages/buschmodelc1.jpg

Good luck Curt!

You can find some photos and information on Jo Lommen's page.

<p>

<a href="http://members.lycos.co.uk/jolommencam/" >Jo Lommen's Press Camera page</a>

<p>

As above, the Graflex film pack adaptor is the only no-go. You might, however, be able to find a Graflex Grafmatic film holder for 2x3, which is different though looks similar.

<p> A better option might be a 120mm roll film back. I actually think you might consider just going with one that replaces the ground glass. Would allow you to carry it around and shoot it on the street.

<p>

Just thinking out loud here, but you should be able to find 1.) a viewfinder that would show you the framing for your back 2.) a rangefinder that would give you distance from the subject - meaning just a distance finding rangefinder like the ones used on old Leicas. Then you can transfer that distance to the lens bed scale and shoot away.

<p>

Or you can use the rangefinder to find the distance of the farthest object you want in focus, the distance of the closest object you want in focus, then split the difference on the lens bed and shoot at smallest (f16 and up) aperture.

<p>

Of course, this depends on your lens bed scale being present and calibrated.

<p>

Someone indicated on the LF list once that Mamiya RB roll film backs can be used on 2x3 cameras, but I could not find that entry. I might have been imagining it. If possible, they might be cheaper than other models.

<p>

Check out Paramount Cords if you want to adapt a modern flash. They can make you a cord with whatever ends you need to connect your camera to a Metz or something. Then you can go out and really scare people. <a href="http://www.paramountcords.com/default.htm" >Paramount Cords</a>

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the great replies and info. Rick, yes it is a nice old camera in excellent shape(other than an incredible funky smell due to being stored for years in someone's attic or basement I guess). Bellows are like new, no mildew or lens fungus, shutter and aperture run smooth. Dan, thanks for the info on the Adapt a Roll. I'll look into that one for sure. I use my cameras mostly for nature and landscape shots so I should be able to use the lens bed scale for most shots, at least with this shutter/lens combo.

Jorn, I've looked at Jo Lommen's site and it does have some great info, especially the user manual,thanks. I like your idea for using a separate rangefinder, at least for distance estimates. I have a nice Prazzisa I use on some old scale focus 35mm's so I'll try it on this camera. The bed scale is there and as far as I can tell, seems focussed well. Never heard of Paramount Cords before but great tip. Thanks again guys, I knew I could find help from the people on this forum. Good light and happy shooting everyone. Curt in Canada.

What I'd suggest for this is to start by buying a box of J&C Classic 200 sheet film (seven bucks plus shipping for 25 sheets) and trying the camera before spending more money on it. You might find the bellows is shot and you need a $100 bellows for your $20 camera kit -- or you might find you like shooting sheet film, and 2x3 holders that will fit aren't at all hard to come by on eBay. You can develop the film by putting it inside tubes in a daylight tank (PVC or ABS pipe, 1 inch diameter by 2 inches long should fit four to seven in a single 120 size tank, though with plastic tanks you need to be sure to include enough parts of the reel to complete the light trap); unfortunately, it's undersize to print in a 120 carrier, but if you do your own printing you can at least contact print it, and most custom printers will have anti-Newton glass carriers that will handle that film without a problem ($10 or so for an 8x10, and if the camera works well it'll be just getting started at 8x10). You might also be able to print your own in a 6x9 (120) glassless carrier with an adapter taped to the bottom, and the film just resting on the adapter mask; sheet film is stiff enough this works pretty well.

Nice find. The 2x3 pressman is a nice camera, but they never put graflock backs on them. I think the early models did not have rangefinders. If it a user camera then you can take off the scres for the ground-glass back, replace them with hooks and use a rubber-band to hold a roll-film back on.

I have a century graphic that has a rangefinder. I like it alot.

Nice find. The 2x3 pressman is a nice camera, but they never put graflock backs on them. I think the early models did not have rangefinders. If it a user camera then you can take off the screws for the ground-glass back, replace them with hooks and use a rubber-band to hold a roll-film back on.

I have a century graphic that has a rangefinder.

• 3 weeks later...