D60 sharpness?

jim_payette

The D60 I just purchased seems to lack sharpness and contrast. What

am I missing? Does it have to be set in the camera or maybe the

firmware needs updating? My G2 looks better to me. My tests have

been in RAW mode. The images look sharp on the monitor but soft on

the computer screen. Help! Jim

You're used to a point - n - shoot. They usually oversharpen and oversaturate the image

in the camera. If you want the same look with your DSLR shooting RAW files, just boost

saturation, sharpness, and contrast up as far as you think you need.

DSLRs generally produce more muted output to allow for maximum flexibility in image

processing after the exposure. Trust me, your D60 blows away your G2 - you just don't

know how to use it yet.

Try printing an 8 x 12 at Costco and you'll be shocked how good it will look even without postprocessing. Afterall, the D60 was designed for photographic prints, not pixel peeping.

The purpose of RAW mode is for you to tweak the parameters, e.g., sharpening, saturation, contrast, color tone, etc., according to your taste. So if you need more sharpness and contrast, add some! It ain't gonna do it for you. You make the choice. If you merely convert at default, you should stick to JPEGS and crank up sharpness and contrast to +2.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I have been using the D60 since it first came out. Other than the autofocus being terrible in low light, and exposures using the 550EX strobe on TTL being erratic, the picture quality is very good. No trouble at all with sharpness. Images are excellent. Just purchased the 20D and absolutely love the camera, except for initial problem with freezing up and error messages. Canon has some bugs to work out with the new 20D, and they are aware of the issues with it.

<p>Well, even in the good old days, the lens wasn't the whole story - some films were sharper than others. But yeah, there's so much more to it with digital - though, of course, good lenses still help. Those of us who have been scanning in our slides/negs with a film scanner already know that some post-processing is necessary to get the saturation, sharpness, contrast, etc. just right ... welcome to the new world :-)</p>

I recently downloaded an official PDF document from Chuck Westfall (head US

tech) at Canon. It basically said what previous people mentioned?point-n-

shoot digitals have built-in"in-camera" unsharp masking, whereas the D60,

20D etc. have some unsharp masking and the 1D series have little. They suggest

for 1D cameras to unsharp mask at 300% / .3 / 0 as a starting point (in

Photoshop > Filter > Sharpen > Unsharp Masking). I have found with my D60

with the camera prefs set at "Sharpen" that 200-250% for most subjects works

good. I could post the link or put this doc on my site if people are interested.