Salgado in Rolling Stone

Actually, although Ihave not viewed this magazine, is Salgado's final project (so he states).

It is a 6year project in the Galopagos Islands (sp?) shooting only wildlife.

From what I have read, he has become completely burned out on mankind, completely disheartened and saddend by the entire human race due to his legendary travels and insightful/most powerful photogrpahy into the human conditions around the world.

He said, within the article, that he apparently needed to get away from mankind for this final project as he has become so disenchanted and hurt by the sufferings of man. "Get as far away as possible," if memory serves....

Surprisingly, speaking with the few pro photogs I know, they expressed such a misunderstanding of the man by making comments as how they preferred his old work and how they do not like the change.

I completely understand and commend him for all he has done. Viewing his images truly overwhelm me. An incredibly honorable end to an amazing pursuit. Stuff of true heroes IMO.

Also, he stated it will be done in all B&W...and in film (if I remember correctly).

Cannot recall where I read this, but it was specifically on Salgado's recent announcement of this final project.

Personally from the few images I have seen from the project, and being no great fan of wildlife, man, those are some dramatic shots IMHO. I was moved.

kind regards

C

I think it is a fresh move. Taking pictures of more uplifting and wonderous

facets nature has to offer, rather than the deplorable suffering and treament of

humans upon other humans less fortunate and less powerful.

From the several images I have seen in the nature series, they look stunning.

Thanks for the URL's. I'm awed at Sebastião Salgado's graphic sense. He has been for ages a favorite photographer of mine but until this moment I fooled myself into thinking it was for his images gripping human content. Just now I saw him in a different light; as a graphic master. This series is not about wildlife and nature, it is a bold statement of light, form and texture that just happens to use nature as a platform.

<i>It is a 6year project in the Galopagos Islands (sp?) shooting only wildlife.</i>

<p>

It's not 6 years, it' not mostly in the Galapagos and it's not shooting only wildlife.

<p>

It's 8 years all over the world, documenting what remains of wild places. Wildlife is only part of it. Galapagos is only the first stop. He's calling it his Genesis project.

Cebes: "Surprisingly, speaking with the few pro photogs I know,

they expressed such a misunderstanding of the man by making

comments as how they preferred his old work........"

How can you be so sure that you're right and that they're wrong?

There was a period following the publication of Salgado's Autres

Ameriques and his Sahel work that he was "the photographer's

photographer", he was rated really highly by his peers. The

general perception among photographers is that his later work

never reached the same peaks, and, sadly, became fairly

predictable if highly polished and crafted.

Gary,

thanks for the link.

I had the privilege of hearing him speak at San Diego's Museum of Contemporary Art while

he was here working on his border photos. He signed my copy of Workers. His genuine

concern for his subjects was very apparent as he spoke.

regards,