Where to sell LF equipment

ralph_paonessa

I have sold a fair amount on eBay, but when possible, but I prefer to deal with <a href="http://www.badgergraphic.com" target="_blank">Badger Graphics</a> and <a href="http://www.mpex.com" target="_blank">Midwest Photo Supply</a> when possible.

<p>They have consistently given me good money for my LF and MF equipment, along with good advice. Easier than eBay: no suspense, no surprises.

I usually post an ad in the classifieds here and also rec.photo marketplace for large format equipment. I ask a price that I'd be comfortable with getting on e bay, not necessarily absolute top dollar just a reasonable price. If it sells that way you avoid the e bay costs and commissionas as well as those Pay Pal charges if you sell through Pay Pal. If it doesn't sell in one of those two places within a week or two then I put it on e bay.

I wouldn't sell to a dealer. That used to be popular because there was no way to easily find a national audience to whom things could be sold at retail prices except by an ad in Shutterbug, which was expensive and took forever. The internet has changed all that.

The one time I sold to a dealer (KEH) the dealer claimed my mint camera and lenses weren't as I had described them by phone and reduced the tentative price to which we had agreed by about 90%. Faced with the choice of taking the stuff back or letting it go, and thinking maybe I had missed something that their experts found, I let it go for about 10 cents on the dollar. A couple months later I saw my equipment in the KEH Shutterbug ad described as mint with a selling price about ten times what they paid me. That cured me of dealers though if I had to sell to a dealer it would be Jim at MidWest.

Ralph,

If you decide to sell to a dealer, I would contact Jim at Midwest Photo Exchange. In my experience, if you describe your equipment to him accurately, he will give you a very fair price, and will not change it upon receipt of your goods. He is a pleasure to deal with.